82 XS400 Maxim - Location of Ignition Coils

sageone

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

First post here. Great forum. Been lurking in the background for a while. Inherited an 82 XS 400 Maxim, Mono-shock. Not getting a spark on the right side. Know that i need to check the ignition coil, pickup coil, and TCI. Where are the ignition coils located? They seem to be up under the frame (under the gas tank)? Are they easily removed? Am I blind? Help!!

thanks, :confused:

wow your a fast poster, 16 posts in 2 hours

welcome to the forum :D

coils under the tank, which you have to remove too see them

LOL, Sorry. I actually posted when I first got the bike. Forgot about that. Once I remove the tank, they should stick out like a sore thumb? Are they hidden under the frame at all? Thx.

they're INSIDE the back bone of the frame. I had the same issue with my bike when I first got it (not firing on right side) I ended up rebuilding my TCI box. I will say, if you want to remove the coils, have someone with small hands help you get them back in.

Attachments

• electrical icon.JPG
    electrical icon.JPG
    3.3 KB · Views: 327
Thanks All. I took tank, seat, and covers off last night. and Charging the battery up. I'll start testing components this weekend. I sure hope I dont have to yank out those coils. Damn near impossible to access. Evidently the engineer that thought it was a good idea doesn't work on motorcycles. I'll need the hands of a three year old kid to put them back in.

It also helps to remove the motor mount on the left side only, but DO NOT REMOVE the bolts that go through the frame!... every time I do I have to use a ratchet strap around the frame to realign the motor!

Well...

Or...

Put a car jack and a piece of wood under your oil pan. Remove the top bolts, and the top of the two side bolts, as well as the chain, leaving the bottom frame bolt in. Rotate the engine down, using the jack to control the speed.

Remove coils.

Dicker with 'em.

Replace coils.

Jack the engine back up (rotating around that bottom bolt), and replace everything.

Back