Anyone running 76-77 xs360 carbs on a xs400?

xschris

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Picked up a set of xs360 carbs and I am rebuilding them. Going to put them on the budget-tracker just wondering if anyone has done this. This are a lot easier to tune and can push more fuel than the xs400 carbs. These are just like the bs38's but 34mm throats. I have talked to some old bikes guy who used this sort or carbs and they said they will make more power on the mids and highs than the later ones.:shrug:

Attachments

• DSC01705.jpg
    DSC01705.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 143
  • DSC01706.jpg
    DSC01706.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
I never tried but I think it is difficult to get jets and sealings for them. At least here in Germany. But maybe it is better in the States...

I can get jets and gaskets but they use a weird stile diaphragms. They are rare and yamaha don't even list most of the parts. These where very dirty but most of the parts where in great shape including the diaphragms:D

Well I know I have been gone for a while, had some issues with kidney stones and busy with life. Also got a little tired with the same ol why won't my 30+ year old pile run:laugh: I don't mind helping but it gets too much for me after a wile and don't want to start saying how I feel about it and piss any body off:wink2: As for me and the 400's still buying and working on them. NOT SELLING ANYTHING AT THIS TIME! For those who have sent p.m.'s looking for stuff sorry for not getting back:) Anyway I just wanted to let people know that I have tested the xs360 carbs and they work better than any other stock/modded xs400 carbs. I have tested the 77-79 the 80-82 and the 82-84 DOHC setups. The xs360 carbs tune very easy and are much more richer/power stock than the others. They feel more snappy and respond better. I am running stock 17.5 pilots and 140 mains (stock is 135 but I don't think it even needs the 140's) Also I think the boot covers help keep the intake boots from squishing in when you give it gas, maybe a more accurate fuel/air delivery? The bike has a vintage winning performance 2-1 free flow exhaust and a vintage set of K&N RU-130 filters. I will try to spend more time on the forum but I don't think it will be much like before:(

Attachments

• DSC01899.jpg
    DSC01899.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 131
  • DSC01900.jpg
    DSC01900.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 146
  • DSC01898.jpg
    DSC01898.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 127
Well its glad to see you back sorry bout the unfortunate health problem I have developed a few of my own since I last seen you on here which may or may not jeapordise me riding my bike this year if I dont get to the bottom of this.I started having what I think are diabetic seizures so it hasnt been fun a time.I definately can related to answering the same ole blah blah day after day,I made an effort to try and make that better.You were missed by a few of us.:)

I know what you mean, Chris. Everyone needs a break some times! I hope you're feeling better.

Thanks, people need to use the search function a little more:wink2: And stop starting a new thread every 5 minutes:laugh: In all the time i have been here I think I have started less than 10. It has all been covered before:banghead: just look.

Amen to that,this one of the things i suggested when you were abscent was to make certain topics sticky.
I know what you mean about taking a break.I am a member on another site about Jimmys and blazers.I enjoyed it very much but it was becoming to routine sorta speak.Same ole crap people asking the same questions over and over and if they just searched they can find the answer.I made a formal complaint to the admin and mods,they told me they cant do anything but yet they have the most restricted rules of any forum I have been a member of.I made the decision its just time to take a breather and step back.I still frequent the site but not with lust I once had.

Back