1. Having trouble logging in? Try closing your browser and re-opening it. If that doesn't work, try a different browser or device. The site will be updated soon to resolve these browser issues.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

Will I need to get new carbs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JStaggs99, Dec 22, 2021.

1. JStaggs99

JStaggs99 XS400 Member

Howdy, first time posting and just got an 81 XS400 yesterday. Now I'll preface this by saying I'm not a bike mechanic by qny means but I am an auto mechanic.
    The guy said the carbs had a float issue and they absolutely do. The floats have holes in them so they'll need to be replaced for sure. My main issue is that one of the ears that the float pin goes into is broke off.
    The float doesn't move much more than normal but it does move slightly. I was wondering if I could bend the new float up slightly to solve that or if it's junk.
    I've had one person tell me it's fine and another tell me I need a new carb.
    Anything will help, thanks for reading.
    Screenshot_20211222-092109_Gallery.jpg

2. JPaganel

JPaganel XS400 Addict

Is it fine the way it is? No.
    Is it fixable? Yes, with a little bit of machining. You can either thread in a post, or TIG weld one in.

Or, you can buy new (to you) carbs.

3. JStaggs99

JStaggs99 XS400 Member

I'm not a fabricator at all so I won't be machining or welding anything. I found a set on ebay so I'll probably get those unless I find someone here selling some cheaper

4. xschris

xschris XS400 Guru Top Contributor

NY
    Sent you a P.M.

JStaggs99 likes this.