#1 dumbest thing maybe anybody has asked! HELP?

SlickRick

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hi, if anybody is out there that can help me, Please!

As I said in a recent thread that I was going to adjust my intake & exhaust valves. Read all the info you kind people put out there, Thanks. Got started, very nervous about the actual adjustment. I pull the gas tank, spark plugs, ect. Took off the left exhaust cover easy as pie, here it comes. THE BLOOMING L & R INTAKE COVERS CANNOT BE TURNED LEFTY LOOSESE OR RIGHTY TIGHTY! How bad is it? I had a wrench on it that will grab anything till the world stops moving. So? On top of that a 3' iron pipe for leverage that could left a car (small) up. What it did was bend the wrench ether way!
#1 stupid ? Which way is the cover suppose be turned for it to come off?
I have some penetrating oil on them now. My fear is, whenwas the last time they were adjusted.

So I be waiting for what I sure will simple be answer. Thank you so much. :banghead:

Is your bike running? I have spun off bolts in the past on exhaust flanges. I would say warming the bike up may do good to expand the metal and make the bolts easier to get out.

My 2 cents

You may have to get an impact wrench or driver[manual kind]if there is enough room to access the caps. A boxend wrench would be a god help as well,or a socket and breaker bar. Sometimes,soaking with your favorite poison,then tapping with a ball peen hammer[gently] while trying to turn it. Good luck,and don't get mad[like I do] or get in a hurry and mess up anything. lha

Hi guys,
A little patience would of went a long way. Sprayed on penetrating oil on the covers and no problem.
FYI: All 4 valves had to be adjusted. I picked the middle of the road so error would tend to be close to specs.
Next is tuning & sync the carbs.

Thanks again fornthe help.

At least one of my caps was seized; after replacing a mangled one I coated them all in anti seize.

On an application like that,I've found that a thin smearing of silicon sealant on the threads and snugging up when you tighten them will make them stay put,but when you need to get back in there,there won't be nearly the fight removing it.I use this on the oil plugs on my trucks when I change the oil,and have for years without problems.One of my friends didn't have such luck when his car lost all oil on the way home from the fast change place,and he happened to be stopped at a light,watching the gauges,when the oil pressure went from 50-5 suddenly. He got out and saw a huge pool of oil underneath his car.He was waiting for the light to get on the freeway.Lucky guy. lha

Back