$100 dollar xs400 newbie

tomtal

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Greetings.
I just bought this 400 (1980) for 100 bucks. 17,000 clicks! I first bought it as a breakdown and mostly wanted the new tires for another project. The previous owner was driving it when the oil drain plug came out and seized the engine. I was tearing the motor down and saw no damage to the cylinders, pistons, valves etc. I split the cases and found the mains, transmission etc were all perfect! The only damage was to the connecting rods bearing shells. The crank pins look fine. Now I have decided to repair and sell it instead as a complete bike with title. I am open to any and all offers!
Here is a question for all you experts! I want to buy new bearing shells. The part number is 36Y-11656-00-00 does the 00 designate the stock size of these bearings? There appears to be several other bearings ...-10-20 in place of the 00 and I am assuming these are oversize. This is definitely a stock engine and I don't want to get this wrong.

Attachments

• xs1 (2)2.jpg
    xs1 (2)2.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:
Yes they go 10, 20 and 30 over standard. If the crank is scored bad you may have to have it turned or find another.

Some people have all the luck finding free bikes or bikes that cost little to nothing,unfortunately deals like this never fall in my lap.Maybe I need to get out more often and start looking in some barns.

Some people have all the luck finding free bikes or bikes that cost little to nothing,unfortunately deals like this never fall in my lap.Maybe I need to get out more often and start looking in some barns.

geez i know guys who are out driving and they come across an xs650 and the guy doesnt want it anymore, here take 50 bucks for it, practically RTR bike for 50 bucks?

and as for the guys who are like yeah i got a bike out back if you want to take it, here have this CBX.....

wish i was that guy....

Back