Wanted - 1977 400D Tank ( yeah, one of "those" )

Petew

XS400 True Believer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I recently came into a 1977 complete bike which is missing the tank. I have looked all over my sources and cannot find one. I really want to maintain the bike as original as possible. Any suggestions? how much work would be involved if I went to the tank and seat combination of later models like my 400G? If I can't find a tank I will be forced into making it a modified bike and I already have 2 of those!

Pete,
Sent you a PM a bit ago today just in case you did not see it I may have a good lead on a tank for the 1977.
Guy wanted to know if it was red or blue he is my go to guy for NYState inspections. He told me once that his first bike was a XS400 1977 or 78 I don't recall. He is going to look through his stock pile of parts in the next day or two. I'll let you know as soon as I hear back from him.

Just to refresh my memory did I give you the locking cap for the tank? How about the petcock for it?

I have the tank you are looking for, I bought it for a project but the started working on a different bike. Asking $180 plus shipping per zip code.
This is a fuel tank from a 1977 Yamaha XS 400. Overall in good condition. Looks very clean inside, but it does have a couple of minor surface rust spots from what I can see with my flashlight. Some minor pitting on the paint as you can see on the pictures. Gas cap or fuel cock are not included.
IMG_2328.JPG
IMG_2332.JPG
IMG_2329.JPG
IMG_2331.JPG

IMG_2326.JPG

I actually own the bike that this tank came from, I believe. I also think I saw it on ebay this morning. The price is a little much for me presently. Thanks for the reply!

Back