1978 resto mod

lude

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
so heres the story, i put a add on my local classified looking for a project bike, with an xs in mind, i get an email.from a guy the next province over, says i have a low milage bike, good shape, then gives me his number, nothing else, so i say what the hell. i drive to see it, thinking im going to find this rusty pile of metal thats gonna need alot of loving. i get there, and i see this metal flake purple 78, with nice paint, seat that looks new, decent chrome, and 8,000 original kilometers. (~5000 miles) megs front and rear disks, none running,
IMG_0002.jpg

so i take it home, try to throw a battery in it, and its 8 kinds of not right under the seat.
i threw a battery in, no starter motor, and no spark, jump the solenoid. starter worked.
IMG_0817.jpg

so at this point, im really scratching my head, pulling out the multimeter on everything, agreed it was smartest to replace the mess of a fuse "box" and atleast start with a clean slate, i found this 4 slot fuse box at a local store for 5 bucks, wired it up, trying to make it look as original as i can,
IMG_0818-1.jpg

and now i have spark, and starter motor, and less of a ratsnest under my seat.

as for plans, get it running first. carbs need to be rebuilt forsure,might replace them with mikuni vm34s might not, engine is still really tight so i dont think ill be into that anytime soon,

then some super bike bars, smaller signal lights, bar end mirrors. beefier oldschool looking tires, maybe a nice blue paint job maybe keep the purple. i know some of you will say keep it original but i cant even ride with the stock bars, and it didnt come with rear signals. and the stock mirrors i think everyone will admit are just ugly. its gonna be a slow one, but ill keep it updated.

no interest in this?

today i got my new bars, super bikes,

IMG_0371-1.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

Last edited:
plan is to not do anything that cant be put back to stock, i couldnt ride with the buckhorns, they are awful bars, that ruin the looks of a nice bike

I like the new bars. Mine is getting a similar set, so its nice to see a preview. Do you have any plans for new mirrors?

a single bar end on the left side im thinking. and some small signal lights, and debating painting it this color, although might just leave it purple

100_1706.jpg

Back