1979 XS400 Carbs

TAKAHASHISON

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I just got a 1979 XS400 that needs new carbs. I took the bad carbs off, but I cannot find anything indicating size.

Does anyone know which carbs I need? Do all of the xs400s around 1979 have the same carb?

I just got a 1979 XS400 that needs new carbs. I took the bad carbs off, but I cannot find anything indicating size.

Does anyone know which carbs I need? Do all of the xs400s around 1979 have the same carb?

They are all pretty much the same with the exception of minor differences.For example the idle screw is on the side of the pre 78 carbs,some may have capped fuel mix screws and such..All carbs from 78-81 are the same.but as Mechnewbie asked why do you need new carbs?Unless something major is broken you can find parts on ebay,different online stores or on our site in the classifieds.

The dude that owned it before me tried to remove the float and broke the part the pin goes into. Im pretty sure that I cant repair that part of the carb, but if anyone knows of a way, I'll try it out.

So he broke the two riser pieces that the pin goes into, that are part of the carb body? Ya that sucks. You'll want to find BS34s like HoughMade said. Maybe you can find some parts in the classified section.

I took another look at it and only one of the two riser posts. The float barely sits crooked and moves like it should. Can I repair the one side? I feel like I can make the float sit just right....

If that piece is gone Yeah your in bad situation with that carb.I know somebody here broke of the same piece but they were able to repair it some how.So yeah keep checking ebay,any motorcycle bone yards near you?Some other model bikes like the older suzkis and kawasakis use B34 carbs also.

If that piece is gone Yeah your in bad situation with that carb.I know somebody here broke of the same piece but they were able to repair it some how.So yeah keep checking ebay,any motorcycle bone yards near you?Some other model bikes like the older suzkis and kawasakis use B34 carbs also.

Oh check out Grim cycle salvage hes out there near you.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to attempt to fix it while I am searching for another carb. Ill let you all know what happens.

Back