1979 xs400 Front brakes, help please

Subtle Focus

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I have a non-special edition 1979 xs-400...Below is a picture of the bike when I first bought it, it does not currently look like the only thing really left to do is change the front rim.

As you can see the front rim and rear rim are different, needles to say I managed to track down and buy a matching set of rims to the rear which I do believe are the rims off the special edition model.

This is where my question comes in.

The front rim that is currently on there has a drum brake set up. Is there any known websites which would sell a complete disk brake kit including the resonator which goes on the handle bars?

& Is it even possible to put that style rim on my motorcycle?

If anyone can help me with this it would be greatly appreciated :banghead:

Attachments

• xs4001.jpg
    xs4001.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 227
like these you mean?

they are very hard to get hold of in disk form and I only know of the xs250C which had them.

Attachments

• DSC00143.jpg
    DSC00143.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 186
  • wired-and-ready-250k.jpg
    wired-and-ready-250k.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 167
Neither one of those wheels in the pic is original to the bike. In '79, there was no rear alloy with a drum. In '79, the alloys were disk front and rear. I say all that to say this- your bike was originally a drum brake bike and to change over, you need a disk right fork leg in addition to the reservoir. If it were me, I'd stick with drums and get a matching set.

BTW- '79 XS400s had 18" wheels front and rear (wire or alloy) and your rear wheel appears to be a 16" from an '80 or later.

Now looking at the bike I realize that it does have a 16" rim on the rear. How would that effect my driving? Is it recommended against driving with a 18" on the front and 16" on the rear? The rear brakes are new so it would be nice to just be able to leave them but if it is on the un-safe side I would rather not.

Look forward to your reply!

Now looking at the bike I realize that it does have a 16" rim on the rear. How would that effect my driving? Is it recommended against driving with a 18" on the front and 16" on the rear? The rear brakes are new so it would be nice to just be able to leave them but if it is on the un-safe side I would rather not.

Look forward to your reply!

16" is fine the tyre has the right aspect ratio for he wheel.

they are standard on custom and special models!

Ironically enough, I have a few Suzuki GN400's...The wheels do not interchange without work...It's easier to find and fit the genuine Mama Yamaha stuff...

So what you guys are saying is that it will be fine running the 18" on the front and the 16" on the rear? As I just painted the front rim black so the mis matching doesn't look to bad. :yikes:

It won't be a problem the 80-82 models all came with 18 front and 16 rear:)

It won't be a problem the 80-82 models all came with 18 front and 16 rear:)

Exactly- and all 16" rear wheels, alloy or wire, had drum brakes. Only the 18" rear alloy (which was before '80) had rear disk. The 18" rear wire (also from before '80) was drum and all front wires (on U.S. XS400s) were drum.

Why you get the right outer fork for a disk, get a cast mag wheel for an 18” wheel with a disk rotor and get a front caliper and a front brake master cylinder? Fleabay has a set and the wheel and the caliper and the master cylinder can be had at Mike’s new for less than you know.

Robert

Back