1979 Yamaha XS 400 2F Points and Condensor

Gareth

XS400 Member
Reaction score
2017-08-27 08.30.31.jpg I took the cover off and oil came running out. Still has a constant drip. I take it there is a seal back there? This oil would be coming from the crankcase?

Thanks,

Gareth Williams

View attachment 30335 I took the cover off and oil came running out. Still has a constant drip. I take it there is a seal back there? This oil would be coming from the crankcase?

Thanks,

Gareth Williams

No seal in there behind that is the stator. If you lean the bike to the left oil will really start to come out the bottom hole. the cover you pulled is taken off to set the timing and also adjust the valves by looking in the window at the top.

So...that oil should be there? I took that cover off to check points. This bike has set for a long time. I'm slowly fixing. Now have no spark to plugs!

That oil should be there. Shouldn't lose too much setting the timing but keep the cover on when you're not working in there.

Took the cover off to check timing with the points?
I ask because the points cover is still on, up over the spark plug.

Lots of varnish in there, may want to do a few low mile oil changes. Don't forget to drain the sump and clean the screen when you do your oil change.

So...that oil should be there? I took that cover off to check points. This bike has set for a long time. I'm slowly fixing. Now have no spark to plugs!
Any idea of what to check since I have to spark? The kill switch on the handle bars was no good so I wire it together. Checked fuses and all was good. When I turn on key, I have power to all accessories. When I crank it with spark plug out, no spark across the gap. No sure what to check next.

Check all grounds and connections with a meter to make sure they are all good. Start with new plugs. Make sure your coils are within spec. Basically check all systems that are related to the ignition. Use the wiring diagram for your model to check. There are threads in the forum for this.

Back