1980 G ignition coil locations

Petew

XS400 True Believer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I am reading this schematic and I see it as indicating that the wiring to the left side ignition coil should have a wire lead that goes into the connector that is grey and red and exits it as tan and red wires to the coil. Conversely the right hand side coil would have the lead into the connector be orange and red. Is my reading of this correct? Do I see the left side of the bike as drivers left while seated? I don't want to spend hours chasing a no start problem when it might be a simple coil connection issue.

Attachments

• 1981 XS400 G_SG wiring.PNG
    1981 XS400 G_SG wiring.PNG
    68 KB · Views: 443
I'm not sure what you have done up to this point. I have attached the manual which show how to check the primary and secondary coil resistance. Once that check you should also use the voltmeter to check the pick-up coil. If both of those are good, it comes down to the CDI being bad. You can download the entire manual from the Yamaha xs400 web page

I hope this helps.

upload_2017-9-9_22-16-17.png

Thanks Bikebone, this is great information but I have already determined that the components are all good.I have all of the manuals and have completed an overhaul of the top end of my engine. I simply was trying to get some verification that I am reading the schematic correctly. This technical part is new to me. I will do a trial and error test instead. Thank you for attempting to help, it is appreciated when people take the time to try and help.

Looks like you have it correct in your post. I would say just run it that way and see. If it doesn't work a quick change of wiring.

I totally bagged my factory loom so am no help on wire colors. Plus with he Pamco I just went with here instructions of whats the left and right cylinder.

Hopefully you get that bike fired up today! Good luck!

Thanks Bikebone, this is great information but I have already determined that the components are all good.I have all of the manuals and have completed an overhaul of the top end of my engine. I simply was trying to get some verification that I am reading the schematic correctly. This technical part is new to me. I will do a trial and error test instead. Thank you for attempting to help, it is appreciated when people take the time to try and help.

Please keep me updated with your outcome regarging the harness and how it is viewed from the schematic. Always very interested in discoveries.

Back