1980 xs400 original sticker price

ironh5544

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I just joined this forum a few months ago. Last Aug I found a xs400 in WV, but with no title. Before Thanksgiving, I located a 1980 xs400 for sale in my hometown in NW PA. I have been in the Pittsburgh area for nearly forty years, and was surprised to find a xs400 in my home area via Craigslist. One of my favorite things is to do research, but I have been unable to find the 1980 original showroom sticker price of a xs400. In other words, what did they cost in 1980 at the dealership? I can only find what they are worth today, which I am aware of from KBB and NADA guides. There were several models and I do not know which one in my hometown is. I do not need to know the exact 1980 sticker price but a ballpark figure would be nice. Can anyone help?

In 1980 they where around $1200 They made two that year the g and the sg. The g had the spoke wheel and the sg had mags. The one with mags would have the highest price of the two.

I would not trust that too much:wink2: I know prices will very from country to country. From what I can remember the 78 sold for $1099 and I don't think it would have gone up that much in two years. I did ask my local dealer a few years ago and he looked it up. I will ask again just to make sure.

That site doesn't give to great of a review of our bikes,then again it says most of the problems occur after 30-40k miles.I have seen any xs400 with that high of miles on it.My bike has almost 18k on it and it had just over 17k on the clock when I bought it.

I heard the xs400 didn't sell very well due to loads of issues with its predecessor, the tx500. That's probably why they were kinda cheap :p The tx had loads of recalls and mechanical issues and yamaha's reputation hadn't really recovered from that yet.

The price seems to be still the same today...1200-1800 USD 30 years ago...and the same price for these bikes in a good shape today here in Europe...:D

The price seems to be still the same today...1200-1800 USD 30 years ago...and the same price for these bikes in a good shape today here in Europe...:D

Sounds like a better investment than a Harley Davidson these days! LOL, good to know mine will hold it's value!

$1,099 of 1978 dollars would be worth about $3,939.07 in 2013. If you sold it for the same price you paid in 1978 you'd actually be losing almost $3,000.

Found this ad for the 1980 special 2 which was the economy version. I would think the full dress one ( the sg) would have been a few hundred more.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqZ,!rYFCJQJUD0DBQkeV-Q8f!~~60_57.JPG
    $(KGrHqZ,!rYFCJQJUD0DBQkeV-Q8f!~~60_57.JPG
    171 KB · Views: 284
Back