1980 xs400 overcharging help

ghoste30

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys this is my first build and i was havi.g issues with my charging system. It is charging at 30amps rather that 14 amps. Where would i start diagnising the issues. Components to check?

Welcome Ghoste!

Volts. You meant to write 30 Volts. :)

Run through the troubleshooting procedure in the manual. I'm going to guess that either the voltage regulator is bad, or that you have a short to ground.

Don't run the bike until you have found and fixed the problem or you will potentially fry the battery or other components.

I agree with Dave. Find the trouble quickly. My first thought is Voltage regulator.after you inspect the whole wireing harness. With 30 volts you'll definately smoke some components least of which your battery and bulbs. On the up side I'd bet you've got a Search light till your headlight bulb self destructs.

I'd worry more about the TCI box, if that fries you are out a lot of cash to replace. The dealer won't have them.
My best guess is the regulator has crapped out. Try unplugging it. If the batery voltage drops to a more normal level then you know the reg is bad.
Leo

the 3 white wires from the field coil were pinched inbetween the cover with exposed wires so i thought it was grounding out. i fixed the wires but its still charging at 30 volts. next im going to check the regulator.

Your stator should have three white wires. These wires carry the AC power to the rectifier to be converted to DC. The feild coil has two wires. Black and green or maybe red/black. The black wire is ground. The other wire is power from the regulator.
The regulator controls the power flow through the feild coil to control the alternators output.
If you are getting 30 volts at the battery your alternator is working fine.
There is one thing that causes this, a bad regulator.
Leo

Thanks xsleo. My new regulator just came in so when i have a bit of free time i will wire ot up and let you guys know what happens

Is the OP's bike SOHC or DOHC?

On DOHC bikes, if the black wire from the field is shorted to ground, I believe that the voltage would be very high as well. Again, on DOHC bikes, the voltage regulator controls the field voltage by providing the ground path. Power is fed from the ignition switch.

I'm not saying this is the OP's issue, just that it fits the symptom as described, and I haven't read which engine this is for...

Back