1980 xs400 project

PrimePerformance

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well earlier today i went and bought me another 1980 xs from an older gentlemen for 600 bucks that he had purchased new in 1980 the bike has 15k miles exactly with a list of documentation of service records and all noticed though at an idle i got a little tick but goes away when im in gear???? any ideas also checked compression 160 in right 155 in left cylinder is that good i have no idea since i have never owned any other bike but cbr's which run 225 plus also noticed that there is plugs over where u can adjust the vlaves like on a triumpth is this something i can adjust myself? or anything i should know about before going an doing it sorry for no pictures at the moment some will be posted soon of the project

Well earlier today i went and bought me another 1980 xs from an older gentlemen for 600 bucks that he had purchased new in 1980 the bike has 15k miles exactly with a list of documentation of service records and all noticed though at an idle i got a little tick but goes away when im in gear???? any ideas also checked compression 160 in right 155 in left cylinder is that good i have no idea since i have never owned any other bike but cbr's which run 225 plus also noticed that there is plugs over where u can adjust the vlaves like on a triumpth is this something i can adjust myself? or anything i should know about before going an doing it sorry for no pictures at the moment some will be posted soon of the project
Install an in-line fuel filter. Beyond that I don't know much mechanical stuff, but have read lots on this Forum. 160 and 155 are higher numbers than what they usually encounter on here so I am sure you're in great shape there. Someone will chime in and tell you exactly how good.

I know that both styles of xs400 allow for valve adjustment by owners. My DOHC uses shims and I believe the SOHC models have an adjuster nut and a set or lock nut adjustment like my 1980 sr250. The repair manuals for both are on here and can be downloaded and I think they give pretty good instructions.

Well that project has started it will be going slow since it also has to be my daily driver while working on it at the moment so far the shocks have been removed this winter will be going hardtail but for now some 11 inch eye to eye harley struts are mounted until then custom license plate and brake light i fabbed up outta just some old iron i had laying around slapped a light on an bam got light blinkers have been removed currently sorry for no pictures of it but i cut the old seat pan in half and made a solo seat outta it while also making it a slimmer design hope i can get ahold of another camera soon to update more on it but for now heres a photo of it with the stuff done above

156y4h0.jpg

Back