1980 XS400 Score!

supercub

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I just picked up an XS, it is running, was registered. A little rough but a pretty decent bike. The clutch was slipping, I adjusted it properly but haven't tried it on the road yet, no plate. Hopefully, that was the cure. Besides that, it needs some electric starter work, it makes a rattling sound and doesn't engage consistently. Tires, fork springs and seals, a seat (have plans for a cafe seat), and a better tank paint job and it will be a good runner. Keep you posted, looks like a fun project.

Attachments

• IMG9516261.jpg
    IMG9516261.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 230
I took the pipes off and had them sandblasted. They are aftermarket, a bit loud. Looks to have built-in baffles, nonremovable, welded in. They were chrome but someone had painted them. I like the looks better than the stock ones. Havent checked the carbs to see if it was rejetted, but I would like to keep the stock jetting and make baffles that would go into the existing ones to replicate the stock backpressure.

You will never re-create the stock exhaust setup with aftermarket pipes. The stock ones used a crossover pipe and internal baffles to balance the pressure. I would just make sure what you have is jetting as close as you can.

The connector pipes are supposed to give top end a boost, at the expense of low end power. Hard to judge the jetting without going through the bike first. Definitely has an air leak at the manifold flanges, I can see gaps, and it was revving erratically at low speeds.

Back