1980 XS400SJ

Sidecar Pete

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just bought this for a friend who is a lady. She'll be graduating up from the '81 Honda CM200 she's been riding for five years or so. She weighs maybe 100 lbs. The guy wanted $600 but took 500 for it. The bike has 10,600 miles on it. Both tires are dry-rotted. The guy gave us a 130/90/16 for the rear- waaay fatter than OEM and just got it mounted and the wheel back on and it looks badass. We are also going up on the front width- from a 3.00/18 to a 3.25. I measured beforehand and clearance looks good.

Now here is the question: The guy we bought it from said that it needed a clutch switch mounted at the perch at the left handlebar. He said without the switch you have no neutral indicator light and can't start the bike in gear with the clutch disengaged, IE if you stall it in gear you'd have to find neutral before you could use the electric starter.

I called a Yamaha dealer and he looked at his microfiche. His picture showed no switch on the clutch lever perch. His picture showed only the front brake light switch that mounts in the identical position on the right side lever perch. While we spoke on my wireless phone, I looked at the bike and the holes seemed to be the same diameter etc. The dealer did not show a part number for the clutch switch only for the brake switch.

So took a chance and ordered it hoping that the same switch would work either side. When I went to try and shove the switch into the hole it seems big and won't go in. I am also not sure what keeps it in.

I am attching three pictures of the Yamaha and one of my everyday rider, a 1958 Jawa Type 354- 350cc twin, just for fun.

1.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

JAWI.jpg

You don't actually need that; simply wire stuff together, then you can hit the starter any time (VERY handy if you snap a clutch cable and need to limp home).

Hey Mark,

Yeah it runs on premix, semi-synthetic at 28:1 and does not smoke at all. In olden times we ran 30 weight oil and layed down a blue haze everywhere.

The wire leads WERE soldered together. But there was no neutral light.

Looks like a nice bike that's all there.

Having said that, I think you may have a bit of an identity issue. An XS400SJ is a 1982 "Heritage Special". If you truly have a 1980 it is likely an XS400G or an XS400SG. If it is a 1980 the VIN number, according to my list which is by no means infallible, will likely start with 3F8 for the "G" or 3F9 for the SG.

If it truly is an XS400SJ then it is a 1982 and the VIN will likely start with 14W or 14V.

The reason I bring this up is that I looked at the parts list for the 1982 XS400SJ and it shows that switch and a different switch for the brake light on the other side. When I look up the parts list for either of the 1980 bikes it does not show that switch. I have a 1982 XS400SJ Heritage Special and the switch is definitely there.

Not sure what to tell you at this point other than to check the VIN number to see what it is you really have. The bike looks too clean to be a hybrid made up of parts from different years. Check out the parts for the 1982 bikes and you will see that switch listed. I attached pictures of my XS400SJ and of the switch.

Good luck, I hope you get it resolved.

Attachments

• P1050742.jpg
    P1050742.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 258
  • P1050743.jpg
    P1050743.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 269
  • P1050750.jpg
    P1050750.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 309
  • P1050751.jpg
    P1050751.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 296
Hi 63 Coupe,

Thanks for your attention to this. I based my model guess on looking at all the various model suffixes, E. F, G, J and K etc., by looking at the parts book for each one. I settled on the SJ because of the decal Special II 400 on the sidecovers, the style of the saddle, and the presence of wire wheels rather than cast, and drum brakes.

The VIN begins with JYA4R5, and the date of manufacture is 11/80 on the decal on the headstock.

The seat grabrail is missing, and my XS400RJ parts reference shows a part number for number 25 on page 29 (3F9-21645-00-00) STAY, REAR.

My friend Michel LaLiberte in Rockingham VT has a 1982 XJ650 with a grabrail that looks similar. Here is a picture from his website:

rfender.jpg

When I look at the parts book for a XS650 SJ (I have none for XJ) the part number for part number 19 on page 31 shows (3G1-21645-00-00) STAY, REAR.

Only the prefix is different. Is it the same part?

Michel has a yard, shed and barn loaded with old machines. To see some of what he has go to http://www185.pair.com/canukvt/

Last edited:
Not sure on the interchangeability on the rear grab handle. Be careful in that the 650's and the 400's while looking very similar have a lot of subtle differences.

The model list I have shows the 4R5 prefix as belonging to the 1981 XS400H. As I said earlier, my list is by no means infallible but 1981 makes sense with a November 1980 build date.

Here is a link to the Yamaha parts list where you can drill down and find the correct model. If you look up the 1981 XS400H, it shows that switch in the "Handle Switch Lever" section.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/partviewer/default.aspx?ls=sport

Yes I see the switch in the H parts sheet. The fact that the sheet also shows an applied emblem on the sidecovers rather than the decals mine has, cast wheels and a front disc brake instead of the wire wheels and drum front but an identical saddle seems to indicate trim level variants. My bike would be a less expensive H with a lesser trim level?

The color is listed as U.R. NEW RUBY RED, and the bike is painted a nice ruby red.

You are getting a little beyond my knowledge of the models now. The model list I have only shows 2 XS400's for 1981, the H and the SH.

I have seen various types of wheels on the same models and I do not believe that anyone has a definitive answer on what is correct or not correct. For example, I have seen a few pictures of my model, the 1982 XS400SJ Heritage Special with wire wheels and front drum brake, which is different from mine.

The only thing I would caution you on is to not go by the side covers as they are one of the most easily broken pieces and are commonly changed.

These bikes over 30 years old now so who knows what may have happened to them over time.

Welcome to the Forum Pete.
You mentioned you had a 16" rear wheel. According to the service manual pages (available for download on this site) the only models of sohc with 16" rear wheels were xs/400G /SG, H. So 63-Coupe may be onto the right model - unless a PO modified it a lot.
As to your rear grab bar, try putting out a request in the Forum's "Marketplace" classifieds. Lots of members on here have removed them when they did mods and someone is bound to have one in "inventory".

Back