Exon Valdez - Good oil leak

jvdavidson

'78 XS400-2E
Reaction score
Greetings everyone,

Having owned my '78 XS400 only since the beginning of September, I've had to do a lot of work on it in order for it to be running like a song as it currently does - this included: replaced clutch, replaced clutch pushrod seal, oil and filter change (obviously), spark plugs and wires, rebuilt carbs and balanced, adjusted valves, points, and timing, fixed turn signal switch, replaced battery, adjusted voltage regulator, replaced tires and tubes, crafted an arm for the center stand (not kick stand) as the arm was broken off. After all that work, she runs like a dream but the real kicker is that it started leaking oil - badly.

I just saw drips from the bottom of the crank case and the center stand was soaked heavily in oil so I replaced the drain plug seal and the gasket for that plate under the crank case. After doing so, I found that the leak was not resolved and it's bad enough that I will not ride this bike as the motor is pissing oil onto my rear tire. After a good looking-over, I can only conclude that the crank case has fractured at the rear-lower motor mount as there's no oil coming from further up the motor (e.g. where the case splits) and there's no oil coming from anywhere forward of this point that may be blown backward while riding.

Is a crank case fracture a common problem with these bikes? Or am I the only poor miserable sap who's lucky enough to have this problem on his hands? Unless there's some seal/gasket for something in the area of the rear-lower motor mount which gave way and the case is actually NOT cracked, I can't think of any other source of the oil leak. Currently, the frame and some years of gunk make it difficult to see the area clearly but I'm presently quite bent out of shape at this bike - it's not as if I've gone off-roading hitting colossal jumps where the engine would be jarred against the frame-mounting points and fracture - I dodge all potholes (primarily because I'm afraid of bending a rim and I ride the same route so I know where all the potholes are). Therefore, I cannot possibly fathom how this leak came about - if it's indeed a case fracture.

My present course of action is to ride it to a nearby Yamaha dealer tomorrow morning and pay the shop $90 to confirm the source of the leak for me. If it definitely is a cracked case, I'll have no choice but to remove the motor, split the case, clean the bottom half and take it to someone around here (chicagoland) who can weld aluminum then button the thing back up and try to configure some means of rubber-mounting the motor.

Thanks in advance for your feedback - it is greatly appreciated!

Best,

James

There's an oil strainer that is bolted to the underside of the engine, not the oil filter at the front but underneath and behind it. Possible leaking from there? Maybe spray the engine down with some Gunk and rinse it off to get a better take on it? Best of luck there.

There's an oil strainer that is bolted to the underside of the engine, not the oil filter at the front but underneath and behind it. Possible leaking from there? Maybe spray the engine down with some Gunk and rinse it off to get a better take on it? Best of luck there.
Moto - yea that plate cover was my first guess, I replaced the gasket and cleaned the bottom of the motor around that cover and when I set the bike on the center stand and fire it up, you can see oil dripping from a source that's definitely on the backside of the case. Thanks for your time though! Believe me I thought my problems were over when I replaced that dumb gasket - god I wish I was right.

A cracked engine case is a possibility but I would clean it up and look at it then. My thoughts are either the front sprocket seal the shift lever seal or the alternator wires grommet seal. Why I say the grommet is that a lot of the time oil that leaks past will run down the wires and drip off the back part of the case. Remember with a 36 year old bike things will go bad.

Attachments

• DSC02725.jpg
    DSC02725.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 141
Took it to a Yamaha dealer and damn was it running like a song. According to the shop, after lifting the bike and getting underneath it they found a hairline crack in the case. They are certain it is easily weldable so they set us up with an aluminum welder shop - just have to pull the motor out. Big question here is what the heck caused it? Though I have no reason to assume causality, there has been some strange behavior with the kick start lever. The lever periodically freewheels - as in no resistance at all and I know it's not the clutch as I've adjusted it plenty and replaced it recently so I have that figured out. However, when working on the clutch pack, I bumped the lever out of it's position so I simply pulled the lever assembly out and put it back when I was done. Given that the freewheeling mishaps only occur about 20% of the kicks and the problem is resolved by gently pushing the lever all-the-way down and letting it spring back all it's own, I'm fairly certain it's installed right - just having an unexplained hiccup now and again. Does anyone have any thoughts on kick lever installation? The manual is effectively useless in that capacity.

Thanks for your input thus far! Should have the motor sealed up next week.

- James

Back