Wanted - 1981 XS 400 H Special II Gas Cap

jnich63

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I am in need of a good gas cap with keys for a 1981 XS400 H Special II.
If you Vin on the frame begins with 4R5, this is the correct year model I need.
Apparently the Standards and the Special caps are not interchangeable and the Specials arent as readily available.
I have parts for trade of Paypal you cash if you prefer.
Thanks in advance.

I have both types ['81's]and have swapped keyed caps back and forth to have a working tank to ride with while painting the other. Never seemed to have a problem.
'80, '81, and '82 [Heritage - wire wheels] seem to differ only in paint colors, chrome and in the cast/steel wheels and seat bar. And in forks/brakes to go with the wheels.

Have you swapped a standard to a special tank? Everything I have read says they DO NOT interchange... I am assuming the websites I visited (partsnmore and mikesxs.net) call heritages, standards?

The version born with cast wheels was also born with either a red or a black/gold tank. The version with wire wheels had blue tank paint.
I have one of each and the caps and tanks are freely interchangeable - it only takes a screwdriver. The color of the factory paint is the only difference I can see on the tanks. Many other years and models also have what looks like that same cap but I haven't actually taken them apart so I couldn't swear to it. I do know that Yamaha does't re-invent the wheel for every bike they make - that controls, instruments, brakes, lights, etc. are often interchangeable over a broad range of years and models.
Here's a handy trick: at the bottom front of those gas caps, just even with the bottom edge of the chrome is a flat metal plate. Press that plate toward the rear of the bike with a flat screwdriver blade, back of a knife blade etc. and the cap will unlatch and open for you. Beats wrecking the lock just cause you left the right key at home.

Yamaha has drawings and parts lists for every machine they ever sold in the US here:

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/m...L2hvbWUuYXNweA==/Parts Catalog/starthere.aspx

A great help for seeing how stuff is supposed to go together as well as identifying what you've got.

Last edited:
Back