1981 XS400 Scramblerized Build, eventually...

New Shoes, and socks!

Tires%203.jpg

Tires%202.jpg

Tires%201.jpg

Got back on the job for a few hours today. I am now working on the wheels. I removed the 16" rim and am swapping in an 18" rim for the rear. The old hub was grimy as hell, and the new one toast. So I despoked the new rim (rusty) and am preparing to use the old hub and new rim and spokes, new being new to me.

Old wheel:

16%20inch%20rear%20wheel%204.jpg

16%20inch%20rear%20wheel%202.jpg

New wheel:

100_2455.jpg

100_2454.jpg

Cleaning%201.jpg

Clean-up:

Cleaning%203.jpg

Cleaning%202.jpg

The spokes were very dirty with chain lube 20 years old, and some rusty. With some CLR and lots of elbow grease and a green scrubby, the spokes came out nice. I did have to sand down 4 of them. The plan is to Powder Coat the spokes and nipples, and paint the hubs, then polish the rims to chrome shiny. I want just a little chrome, so the front brake actuators, and a few other parts will be chrome, while most everything else will be painted black or yellow.

Best of luck with coating the spokes and nipples. It'll be tedious to string them all up and get a good coat. Then the added thickness makes them near impossible to get through the hub and sit flush.

I had planned on doing it as well but went with new spokes instead. Even just the paint on the hub had to be drilled to fit the spokes.

The ones I've seen that have been powder coated succesfully had to either-
1. do it all assembled, making it a pain to true the wheel on the bike (and making a mess of the powdercoat)
2. masked off the first inch on each end. Looks like crap with the exposed areas.

No matter what, get them plated with something. Mine cleaned up very well, but they are already covered in rust from top to bottom, even with keeping a coat of corrosion inhibitor on them. All it took was 40 miles riding around this past month to do it. I'm looking forward to the day my tires need replaced so I can toss these ones in the trash and go with stainless like I had originally planned.

Got to say, i'm rather impressed. Most people do projects like this but do it totally wrong, and end up just causing damage to the bike frame in the end (by twisting the frame due to cutting and what not) but you have taken the time and money to do it properly. It looks great.

Lots of prep has shown decent results on the wheels and other parts.

Spokes for the rear wheel:

Powder%20Coat%202%202.jpg

Powder%20Coat%202%201.jpg

Powder%20Coat%202%203.jpg

Powder%20Coat%202%204.jpg

Powder%20Coat%202%209.jpg

Other wheel, engine and body parts done in powder:

Powder%20Coat%202%207.jpg

Powder%20Coat%202%2011.jpg

Powder%20Coat%202%2010.jpg

Next I assemble the wheel and see if I can get it straight. My first time.

Best of luck with coating the spokes and nipples. It'll be tedious to string them all up and get a good coat. Then the added thickness makes them near impossible to get through the hub and sit flush.

I had planned on doing it as well but went with new spokes instead. Even just the paint on the hub had to be drilled to fit the spokes.

I tested several after coating and they fit fine. Maybe my hubs have larger than average holes.

Got to say, i'm rather impressed. Most people do projects like this but do it totally wrong, and end up just causing damage to the bike frame in the end (by twisting the frame due to cutting and what not) but you have taken the time and money to do it properly. It looks great.

Thanks Taz! I am no builder, but I am a pretty competent wrench, with at least average common sense!

Just take your time, little by little on the adjustments. Use a good dial gauge, and don't settle for anything less than perfect! It's worth the time to get it right, nothing like a nice vibe free high-speed ride ;)

Just take your time, little by little on the adjustments. Use a good dial gauge, and don't settle for anything less than perfect! It's worth the time to get it right, nothing like a nice vibe free high-speed ride ;)

That is the plan.

I've been sick the last couple of days, so slow work. I did assemble the brakes for the wheels.

Reassembly%20Wheels.jpg

New wheels coming from Mike's XS.

New%20Rims.jpg

So, the new rims arrived, very quickly, so I decided to see how they would look.

Wheel%20Lace%20Rear%202.jpg

Full of promise, nice and shiney!

Wheel%20Lace%20Rear%203.jpg

With the hub in the center.

Over an hour of frustration and I still could not get all the spokes in. I watched several videos on it, and no help. Finally I decided to zip-tie the spokes into position and then introduce the wheel.

Wheel%20Lace%20Rear%204.jpg

MUCH better. I cut each zip-tie as I fit them to the nipples, and it went on easily until the last 4 spokes. To get them into the holes I had to bump the wheel on the floor on the opposite side, on some rubber matting, and the last 4 went right in.

Then I snugged down each nipple.

I checked with a screwdriver and the wheel was close to true, maybe 2mm off and no out of round.I will use my balancer to check and adjust it tomorrow.

Looks pretty good. I will need a little touch-up on the paint, but it was my first wheel lace, so I am OK with it.

Wheel%20Lace%20Rear%206.jpg

Wheel%20Lace%20Rear%207.jpg

Be sure to use the actual axle when truing. If you use a cone setup that comes with balancers, you will get bad results.

I broke two spokes taking apart the front wheel, so I am stalled there, but I did order a new set. In the mean time, I did some more powder coating.

Powder%20too%209.jpg

Powder%20too%206.jpg

Powder%20too%204.jpg

Powder%20too%202.jpg

Powder%20too%201.jpg

I did get the rear on the stand and ready to true, but I lost my spoke wrench, so it will wait until the new spokes come in for the front, and the new tool.

True%20Wheel%202.jpg

True%20Wheel%201.jpg

Then I cleaned up the colossal mess in the garage.

Back