1982 heritage special project

Hsxs400

XS400 Member
Reaction score
hey guys I'm new to this forum. I have had my 1982 Yamaha xs 400 heritage special since my dads uncle bought it for me 16 years ago. It's been in storage and I finally pulled it out and plan on getting it on the road. I've already changed the factory bars to a small rise straight bar. It gave the bike an awesome look and excellent feel. I was thinking of doing a set of custom straight pipes for my next mod but was wondering about jetting. Do I need to re jet or would stock jets be okay with a straight pipe. I have already went threw the carbs. Oil change. And brakes. It runs awesome. Any help will be apreciated

The bike will run it's best with the factory exhaust. If you are still wanting to have a "look" or "sound" Make some DON'T cut up the stock ones. Save them for when you get tired of messing with jetting or listening to a crazy loud pop corn popper. A good set of factory pipes are getting hard to find and are worth some $$$.

It will require rejetting. If you're going to change air filters eventually I'd do the exhaust and filters at the same time so that you only have to rejet once.

The bike will run it's best with the factory exhaust. If you are still wanting to have a "look" or "sound" Make some DON'T cut up the stock ones. Save them for when you get tired of messing with jetting or listening to a crazy loud pop corn popper. A good set of factory pipes are getting hard to find and are worth some $$$
Thanks.

Back