1982 XS400 Swingarm Pivot Bolt Removal

TonyB

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I cannot remove the swing arm pivot bolt, it turns freely, but I cannot drive it out, any help would be most welcome.

Thank you,

TonyB

I wasn't able to remove the bolt from mine and ended up grinding the head and shank off so I could remove the swing arm from the frame. I tried heat, lube and a 6lb sledge hammer. All were a waste of time as the heat and lube can't get to where it is needed.

I didn't try stripping the frame and getting it into a hydraulic press. 20 tons may have worked, and would have been easier and faster. Next time I'll try that before drilling and grinding.

Thanks Dave, I have rigged up a plastic cap that fits tight into swing arm housing at both ends, drilled a hole in the top of each cap and filled both caps with WD40.
Will soak overnight, hope it works, I also pounded the bolt with a 5lb. hammer and it did not budge at all.

I wish you luck and suggest you try letting it soak for a week, while you strip the bike down. Chances are very good that the bolt has rusted to the bushing it runs through and that it will take a lot of force to get it to move.

Back