1982 XS400J Maxim Wiring Diagram

mback7

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and I need some help.

I need a wiring diagram for my 1982 XS400J Maxim. I feel like I've searched this whole forum and countless other internet locations. I've found that other have requested this diagram as well but no one responded. Which other models closely correlate to this bike as far as wiring goes? I've read that maybe the Seca does?

To be more specific about my problem, the starter with activate, but seems really weak. The solenoid seems to click and provide the starter juice, but not enough. It struggles to turn the flywheel. With a battery fully charged, it will power it up the first, and maybe the second turn over. My interpretations of some diagrams I've read is that the head light shouldn't come on unless the bike is running to provide the starter with as much current as possible, correct? Well my light comes on when I turn the key, so I'd like to go through the harness and see if someone has altered it to do so.

Any help would be awesome! :thumbsup:

just found the diagrams (what an amateur!) Anyway, if you have an insight into my headlight query, let me know

Post #3 on this thread (http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4503) has the dohc (seca) service manual.
Chapter #6 is electrical and it includes wiring diagram(s) including one for the starter system.

My Maxim was all original and the headlight came on with the ignition, before you hit the starter button.
I always thought this was stupid, but I suspect it would have added to the cost when new if it had been done any other way.

Government mandated that the light be on day or night so the cheapest way to build that into a bike was to just wire it in. It was only ever a factor for me when my first battery was nearly dead and it was a cold day.

Welcome!

On Maxim's and Seca's the headlight will come on with the ignition, but should turn off when the starter button is pressed.

Try testing the starter solenoid. Connect a volt meter, positive to the battery side of the solenoid, and the negative to the starter side. Set the meter to 20V scale and watch the meter when cranking the engine. If you see a 1 or 2 volt reading, the solenoid is probably okay. If the voltage reading is higher, the solenoid is probably going bad.

The starter can be tested by using a booster cable to connect from the battery positive to the terminal on the starter. If the engine turns over quickly, the starter is good. If not, then not.

I hard wired the battery to the starter (after taking it completely apart and thoroughly cleaning it) and it seemed really sluggish and wouldn't start the bike up. I guess the culprit was the starter after all.

Is their a big difference between the xs400j and the xs400sj models in wiring 82 I do believe:umm:

The sj is a sohc bike and the j is a dohc bike. Two different bikes.

On my Maxim, the headlight comes on with the ignition switch(key) is turned on, the headlight is disabled, when the starter button is pressed, so that the maximum amount of battery power is available, to operate the solonoid/starter motor! The headlight reactivates, when the starter button is released.

Merlin

Could the the problem be your engine? Just throwing it out there...seized Pistons? ..Oil turned to Sludge?

Back