1982 XS400RJ Seca?

zhdawson

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I bought what I believe to be a 1982 Yamaha XS400RJ Seca a couple weeks ago and am finding it difficult to find parts for. So far I know I need my gas tank fixed (previous owner let it rust then did some shoddy repair work), a new exhaust system and tires. I was wondering if someone could help me confirm that this is in fact a 1982 Yamaha XS400RJ Seca and what other bike models may have interchangeable parts. For the exhaust system I've had problems finding one that has the correct exhaust flanges that fit my bike and would like to know where i can go to buy a brand new one (besides the dealer). Right now I've disassembled almost everything on the bike and gas tank is currently being fixed. If I can get any advice or suggestions that would be great!:)

Attachments

• IMG_1615.jpg
    IMG_1615.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 487
  • IMG_1616.jpg
    IMG_1616.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 450
  • IMG_1617.jpg
    IMG_1617.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 420
Also has anyone used the MAC exhaust system, either the 2-->1 exhaust or the 2-2 exhaust? On Ebay the exhaust flanges on the ones on Ebay I've been looking at don't seem to look correct from the pictures they show. Can anyone give me a confirmation on whether they will fit?

The Mac 804-1103 system will work for you. The flanges are different than stock, and can be a bit of a pain to fit. The XS400 Seca shares engine and some suspension parts with the XS400 Maxim. If you aren't planning on riding in what is left of this season, don't buy tires until the spring. No point having them aging over the winter. Be sure to check the date code on the tires when you buy them. 5 years old is considered the limit. I refuse to buy tires that are more than a year old unless they are substantially discounted - and I tell the tire shop that before I order, to be fair to them.

That is an 82 or 83 Seca, same as mine. Good luck finding a tank. I have been looking for a few months now. I spoke to a salvage yard that told me the tin they used for the Seca tanks didn't fair well in the Canadian climate and most he gets are not salvageable. There are plenty of other parts available though. It looks like yours is in pretty decent shape. Is the right side plastic (just above the battery) missing or just off for the picture? This is another part I have not been able to find.

I purchased tires online from canadasmotorcycle.ca, prices are pretty good and shipping was fairly quick. I paid $150 taxes and shipping inc. Did the work myself. It was suggested to me to buy Dynabeads for balancing, I did, and they are great!

Welcome to the forum and good luck with the bike.

Well my tank is being fixed right now, the real problem was that the previous owner attempted to put a liner inside of it and now it is flaking off inside, so there's a welder I found who's going to fix it. The right side plastic I have covering the battery and it is in perfect shape so I'm going to just get all the plastics and tank repainted once I get my tank back. Not sure what colour yet I may stick with that original red which I love. The bike was pretty well all there when I bought it, only thing missing that I can tell so far has been the kickstand spring! Everything works so I got very lucky, just needed to change a few things for a safety.

So is the welder going to open it up and clean out the sealer? Mine was full of pin holes that I couldn't see until I put gas in it, then it was like a sieve. I used a sealer, but I'm not 100% sold on it. Leaks have stopped, but how long will it last? Still looking for a tank, but if I could fix this one I'd be happy.

Well the welder said he was going to use high pressure steam to get the liner out, then do a leak test to find out where he needs to weld. He said he'd only open it up if he needs to but it's only going to cost $150 which I thought was more than fair! I guess the sealer would last for quite a while until it started flaking but I can't see a reason for it to flake by itself. The only reason mine is flaking is because the previous owner did a crappy job of putting it in. For $150 though the welder is cleaning out the liner, sealing it up, and fixing the crappy JB welds the other owner had attempted on the tank.

The bike looks to be in pretty nice shape. Many kms?
The front tire looks like it could be the original one that came with the bike - or a very old replacement.
I agree with Dave. We should ride our bikes enough to wear out tires in less than 5 years. If you have a 3 digit date code, the tires are over 14 yrs old. If the second last digit in a 3 digit code is "0" then the tires are 5+ yrs old.

Do you mind me asking why you want to replace the exhaust system? Aesthetics or hidden holes - it looks good in the pics.

Bike is in very good shape, I believe around 30,000 Kms, engine rebuilt 1500 kms ago. Thank you for the info on those tires, I didn't know that but I am definitely replacing the tires before I consider taking the bike down a highway! I'm replacing the exhaust because in manitoba I can't insure it to without passing the safety, which states I can't have any rust holes through it. When the exhaust is on the bike you can't tell there's any rust at all but when I took it off the whole underside is rotten.

Similar rules to Ontario - rust is ok but not holes.

Any chance a skilled welder who owes you a favour could repair them enough to pass the safety? Might be cheaper.
If MB inspections are done by independent mechanics like in ON, you might even be able to repair with sheet metal, JBWeld and some hose clamps. Here, they don't take the pipes off to inspect. They usually just listen and feel for any leaks when the engine is running. I would rather see you put the money into tires if the date codes reveal yours to be old.

On that subject, here are a lot more details:
... On the sidewall is a DOT number. At the end of this number is a oval with 3 or 4 digits in it. If just 3 digits the tire is before the year 2000. After 2000 they used 4 digits. If no digits it way older.
With 3 digits the first two numbers are the week of the year and the last number is the year. As in 347, the 34 is the 34rth week of 1997.
4 digits the first two are the same with the last two the year. Like 2704. 27th week of 2004... Leo

Last edited:
The tires are definitely old, I'm replacing them right now and I'm going to try to find an exhaust at this bike wrecker who may have the correct one in better condition than mine. Also I might take it to an exhaust place and see what they think about it and if they might be able to fix it or fabricate new pieces for cheaper, then ill compare and buy new exhaust if necessary.

Back