2-1 Jardine Restoration

Liamthedevastator

It's dingaling'n time
Reaction score
When I purchased my bike the PO gave me all of the parts, bits and bobs that he had collected for the project, one of which was this old rusty 2-1 exhaust. He said that it was incredibly difficult to find and would require a bit of restoration, but would sound awesome when it was brought back to life. He also claimed it was an old Jardine, but motorcycle exhaust history is difficult to find on the internet apparently:shrug:

Anyways, here is a photo of the beast:

20120901_132523.jpg

It's rusted from top to bottom, pitted, scratched, and full of rusty dusty. Also has this nice little dent in the header pipe I need to get out:

20120901_132541.jpg

All is well as far as the plan to restore it goes but I have a major block with regard to the baffling. There are two pipes in the muffler end of the whole gid'up. There is a short squishy one where the headers vent into the muffler, then there is a taller round one with a hole in the bottom that would be the exit for hot gasses.

There is supposed to be a metal doughnut that seals off the opening and leaves only the taller pipe exposed to the outside. That is how the baffling works: exhaust enters from the headers into the muffler with nowhere to go but backwards to the back of the muffler, then through the small hole and out the end...

Here eece photo:

20120901_132632.jpg

Here it is a little farther back:

20120901_132636.jpg

Here's the million dollar question: Is there supposed to be some more baffling material in there or is this it?? I don't want to seal off the top and find out it's deafening and going to get me huge noise violation tickets!

Any input, knowledge, or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks folks!:)

There should be a insert at the back of the muffler to give it some back pressure.

So that would be a doughnut shaped piece that is like a cuff around the 'out' pipe? Is that the only thing i would need to do?

man, these exhausts must be loud :D

Back