30 year old jets...

doodsaibot

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
A while back while I was cleaning the carbs, I noticed the pilot jet was stuck in there. I didn't want to press the issue and create any problems so I left it in there. Afterwards, I synchronized the carbs with vacuum gauges and got her running pretty good.

All of the jets in these carbs are the originals (30 years old). I suppose the question is, would it be wise to replace the jets since they are so old as to not risk another one getting stuck in there like the pilot did? Will the pilot jet start coming apart or cause damage if I try to remove it? I know jets don't have an expiration date but I am curious as to what yalls opinion is on the matter of old jets.

If you aren't changing your jetting, there's no particular reason to remove it except making changing your jetting easier in future. These pilot jets will strip very easily but it won't affect their ability to meter gas. If you do want to remove it, just gently hammer a small Allen wrench into the nozzle; it should give you enough leverage to back it out.

Most definitely :thumbsup:. When harsh winter comes (non riding weather) I think I will change that jet. But for now, its smooth sailin. :bike:

The only way to get a pilot jet full clean is to remove it. Also there can be junk behind it that can plug the pilot circuit. Age is not a factor with them just how clean they are. Soda blasting them will make them look like brand new.

I have heard of the ultrasonic clean. It sounds like the ultimate and most thorough route to take.

On a side note, I believe that stuck pilot is the issue of my occasional, mostly rare start up/warm up issues. I have cleaned the carbs and synchronized them with my vacuum gauge (I know the manometer seems to be the most popular tool on this forum but the vacuum gauge seems more precise to me). Its not running so rich like it used to and in fact runs great but I think when riding season is over with I am really going to dig into those carbs, possibly with the ultrasonic cleaning, and just for my own peace of mind, change the old jets for some brand new ones.

Ultrasonic cleaning is the most through. It can clean internal passages, as long as the water or cleaning solution can get there.

A manometer is more accurate than gauges. Every time, without fail. I'm specifically referring to the "U" shaped tubing style. It is difficult to be more precise than a direct comparison. :)

In that case, I may go ahead and make my own U shape manometer and see just how accurate my vacuum gauge synch really was. Now yall got me curious! Just when I think I am done fiddling around with this bike. :D

I have a set of vacuum gauges and a mercury gauge witch is like a manometer but uses mercury as the fluid. The mercury gauge is much more accurate and easier to use. Remember to always set the valves first. Then warm the engine and then sync carbs with the engine at an idle.

Well let's just say that the timing for the rejetting was perfect. A cold front blew threw here the other day and it appears riding season is over for a good while. I started up my bike last night just to see how it cranks In this weather. It struggled to start up and it barely held an idle. The throttle response was extremely sluggish. I turned it off after a minute and then this morning noticed a huge gas puddle under the bike. I traced it up to the air box. I already planned on pulling the carbs this weekend anyway for the ultrasonic clean and re jetting so I'm not too upset about it. Do yall think the cold weather stuck one of the floats? It did not freeze last night but got down to 36 degrees. This is my first winter having a bike so I am curious as to how cold affects it.

I would make sure the petcock is shutting off when the bike is not running. You don't want to find a crank case full of gas:wink2:

I did a check on that and disconnected the line from the petcock for a few hours. Not a single drop came out in that time frame. Also looked through the site glass and noticed that the oil level was at the normal level. Something just dawned on me though. I still had 20w50 in it. The manual says you need 10w30 for colder temp ranges. I think the bike may have had a hard time moving that heavy oil in the low temps.

EDIT: You were right, XSChris. Saw it leak out some gas just now! I was going to hook everything back up. As I walked up, it seeped out gas in a quick spurt and then slowed to a trickle and then stopped. :eek: The petcock was doing this in irregular intervals after I noticed this. there was a small amount of gasoline in the pan that I had set under it. I suppose throughout the night it all just added up to a huge puddle. Time for my first petcock rebuild! :D

Last edited:
Back