$400 really!?

I would never pay someone else to do this for me, but if you consider labor it isn't that bad. Doesn't it cost hundreds for a shop to rebuild carbs?

Couple things:

1. While the BS34's are super common(everything used them) the set up for xs400 is semi uncommon.

2. A shop does charge a couple hundred for a full rebuild and clean.

3. Hell if I could find a pair of bs34's setup for a maxim that were well done by someone reputable I'd buy them for 400$. Then again, I have more money than time.

The only real time in these carbs is getting them apart not rebuilding them. It only takes about an hour to blast and wash them and if you use old parts the cost is not a lot:confused:

Well for me, the reason I'd be down to pay say 3-400$ for a set of stock carbs, is because my carbs are wrecked by a probably a dozen PO's messing with them. Every screw is fucked up, every jet is fucked up, disassembling it is a HUGE pain in the ass.

Also, if your diaphram is bad? You're out 90$ a carb already. So now your only paying 220$.

Hmm what are those? The rubber only part of the diaphram? If so, do you just glue them on or something?

Also, damn this thread! Talking to 'oldskoolcarbs' about a set of carbs for my bike. BLEEEH lol

Cut the old ones off plus the retaining ring and slide the new ones on:thumbsup: Not hard to do I have seen them used a lot.

If I had a carb problem, I'd consider buying rebuilt carbs IF I had EVER heard ANYONE post this:

"Just got rebuilt carbs, put them on and they work perfectly!"

...but I've never read that anywhere. Usually, it's: "Naw, can't be thecarbs, a good carb guy just cleaned and rebuilt them."

Then a week later: "Still can't get the bike to run right."

And finally: "Turns out it was the carbs after all. Looks like that carb guy didn't know what he was doing."

Heard it time and time again.

:agree: No bike is the same even from the factory they have to run the bike and adjust the carbs one by one.

I also agree that I have heard a lot of people dismiss carbs as a possible problem because a "pro" set them up. All the while the experienced people on here will be saying carbs... carbs... carbs...

I am my trusted carb guy. I'm no beginner, and even then it took me 5 cleanings to get it right. Just dunking the carbs, especially these, in carb dip for a day or two or running them through an ultrasonic cleaner, does not verify that they are clean.

...if I see one more post with an obvious carb problem where the owner says: "carbs are crystal clean"...I'm gonna....well, do nothing.

I may chime in and say clean them again, but I'll be honest. I'm getting tired of it.

One day, a guy says he's a "newbie" and knows nothing. The next day when he describes an erratic idle, a flat spot, hanging rev, popping, or bog and is told to clean the carbs (again), he's certain the carbs are "spotless", "surgically clean", or "perfect" and starts looking for ignition or other problems rather than lowering himself to clean the carbs again. In the span of a few hours or a few days, he's gone from newb to guru and developed x-ray vision.

Well buddy (whoever you are), my bike starts with barely a tickle of the starter button or on the second kick, every time, even after sitting for a week. It idles at 1200 rpm all day long. It runs up through the rev range in every gear without a hiccup. Pardon me if I make a suggestion to the new expert who's bike has never run correctly. What do I know?

Is this because I'm so smart? Nope. It's because I was smart enough to know that I didn't know it all, listened to those who may know, and I had enough humility to take the carbs apart and clean then at least 5 times even when I was oh-so certain they were clean enough to eat from.

...or you can just buy some over the internet. I'm sure they'll be perfect and need no adjustments.

...if I see one more post with an obvious carb problem where the owner says: "carbs are crystal clean"...I'm gonna....well, do nothing.
You'll never hear this from me, they're staying sealed off from the rest of the world.
You guys have got me so scared of my carbs :yikes: that if the bike ever starts to run funny I may just buy another bike and be one of the guys running the ad which goes: "overall runs really well but could probably use a carb adjustment. Only selling because I've up-graded". :wink2:
I feel so lucky that it does run so well.

Back