400xs maxim clutch rod cover

lynchmob

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hello,I am new to Yamahas my son and I have a 1982 xs400 Maxim.We took the clutch cable cover off of the left side to get the starter out.Now the clutch push rod looks like it is out too far and the cover doesn't want to go back on.Please help:banghead:

I had the left side off to change sprockets, and getting the cover back on with the clutch working was tricky. First time, the cable had become disconnected inside the cover assembly and I had to disassemble. Then there was the problem of getting the ball bearing back into the tube in the proper place.

It was 2 yrs ago and I can't recall precisely what I had to do, however, I do recall using the diagrams in the manual (top of the Garage section on here) to confirm I had all the parts in the proper order and in the proper configuration (not as simple as I thought) - but it worked.

Welcome to the Forum!

I suspect it's fine, it's just that you have to place the cover just right to get it over the shifter.

Notice the lip on the cover? Hold the cover at about 40 degrees, and just slip that lip under the other cover first. Once you do that, look at the alignment with your shifter linkage. You want the tip to slip into the appropriate hole next.

Or, maybe I'm misunderstanding your problem. As always, a picture or two might help us. :)

Back