650 ignition compatibility?

fc10a3

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did some searching, but didn't find what i was looking for, do we have a parts compatibility list from the 650-400.?

Anyways to my question, the bike I bought, the previous owner had said that it had been converted to an electric ignition, and that all it needed was an ignitor. However I've been have a difficult time locating parts due to the fact that i don't know what bikes came with them (he didn't specify what bike he took it off of). Anywho's I'm planing on redoing the whole system, and was wondering if the basic or high output kits for the 650 would work on a 400s. http://www.xs650direct.com/products-81.html

Any imput or a better place to find the part would be greatly appreciated. Pictures of what I need when I get home tonight.

Thanks and Happy long weekend

Very few parts are compatible between the 400 and 650. You didn't mention what year your bike is, but I'm assuming it a 78 or 79, and the PO replaced the points with a pickup assembly from an 80 or 81. He was probably talking about the TCI unit, which you should be able to buy off of ebay. But it might be more complicated, you should talk to the PO and see exactly what he did before you go off buying stuff. You may need to replace the wiring harness with a later year bike's, in order to have the correct hook ups and power flow to the coils. The coils themselves may have to be changed, because of different ohms ratings.

My bike's an 82, so I was assuming that it was off of another 82 just a different model. I will check ebay though. And thanks for the info both of you.

hi i have a 78 xs400 want to convert to elec and get rid of points any help please

JOHN, you should be able to replace the points with the electronic pickup unit from an '80 or '81 xs400. You would also need to get the other components,TCI, correct wiring, maybe coils.

thanks for your help does anyone make a kit to do this or do i need to raid the scrap yard

Thanks drewpy and all for answering, I've become a lurker in my own thread!

John if you want pictures of how mine is set up, just ask.

Last edited:
Just wanted to bump this for reassurance...I have an 82 XS400 with TCI ignition. Will the High Output Ignition Coil from Mike XS shown here work for me?

http://www.mikesxs.net/products-27.html#products

About halfway down.

17-6803.jpg

No problem! Especially when the exact answer for the specific coil I posted WASN'T specifically given.

Your thread was about compatibility of ignition parts between the 650 and 400. Hopefully this will help with ignition coil compatibility for someone down the road.

I was thinking about this...why would that really matter? Wouldn't it simply create a wasted spark situation?

I don't think the single coil can generate enough voltage over the time, as our bike's pistons are 1 up 1 down.

OK, on 360' cranks, which send the pistons up and down together, but alternate the compression/timing!

if yamaha could do it, they would have as it cuts coil costs in half!

Ok..really trying to understand here. Are you saying that in essence, that's a single coil with two plug wire terminals? So it's when the ignition fires, the spark plug would only see half that voltage given that all the voltage would be split between the two plug wire terminals? I was assuming it was two coils in one.

If that the case, then this should work:

17-6810.jpg

"Dual Tower XS Performance High Output Ignition Coil 3.3 OHM
Primary Resistance. 15K OHM Secondary Resistance. Capable of
sustained 45KV output with 12.5v DC input. Capable of sustained
75KV output with 14v DC input. Replaces stock factory Tci
ignition coils
on All 1980 & up models and works with Pamco
ignitions (Non rephased engine types). Requires 7mm Dia. High
tension spark plug wires (order separate) and 5K OHM spark
plug caps."

Last edited:
I think there is more to it, but in essence you need two coils with 1 lead from them for each cylinder!

The coils need to soak the 12v before being shut off by the tci or contacts. Electricity needs to flow, so it jumps to the smaller secondary coil creating up to 40,00 volts which in turn, jumps across the plug gap to earth.

coils can't release and have 12v supply at the same time which will be what your asking it to do!
I hope that makes sense, I've rewritten it 3 times :D

A bit off track but can anyone recommend new leads that go from the coil to the sparky? Is internal resistance an issue with new leads?

Sorry for hijack but it is kinda related.

Back