77xs400d cafe newb

Smokey77xs

cafe' all day
Reaction score
I am new to the motorcycle scene but have a basic grasp of engine mechanics, I've just yet to jump into it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I plan on doing a number of things on my own, and learning hands on. These include:
Carb jetting
Valve adjustment
Replacing fork seals
Timing adjustment
Etc... bike only has 10k on it runs great and it'll be my daily driver. I just want to get everything adjusted properly before I start putting major miles on it.

The first question I have is what do you all think about the emgo shorty's universal mufflers? Will they suffice and provide enough back pressure?

And two; its running pod filters and headers so I know its running lean. I plan on going with the shortys mufflers if I get some sort of approval lol. Any suggestions on jet size after I install the mufflers? I know someone on here has to be running the same set up.
Thanks thanks thanks!

You're probably going to go up 2.5 or 5 on each bikes jets. (Main & Pilot probably). Might have to adjust the needle too, not 100% sure.

If you have to order parts for it, which you probably will for new jets, adjust the valves while you wait. Check the timing, do all the basic maintenance. If you don't you run the risk of having to tune your carbs twice. :(

Thanks man, this is the kind of advice I was hoping to hear. This weekend will be the start ofvit all. Cleaning carbs, installing mufflers, adjusting valves/ timing. Just so I know everything is on point. It has power through all rpms but looses some topend, its gotta be starving for more fuel. I'm sure mufflers will help richen it up a bit :)

If its open exhaust right now, then ya mufflers should certainly help reduce the amount of air(and thus richen it up). However if everything is running ok right now, I wouldn't change anything in the carb. Do all the maintenance and add on the mufflers and see how it runs. Chances are its going to be great.

When you're going through everything double check all the brake stuff. Make sure the pads aren't almost done, check the drum shoes, if the brake is squishy you might want to bleed it. A lot of shit can go wrong on a bike and you'll survive if the brake are working.

Couldn't agree more with Dan. There's a great thread somewhere around here with a link to all the jet sizings you can work with for everything from stock to fully tuned. Also don't forget that running rich is better than running lean (even if it hurts your fuel mileage a bit).

Thanks for all the advice, its helping me out alot. This forum is exactly what I needed. Much obliged.

I have a couple more questions as well.. one is that the left side exhaust( if sitting on bike) tends to pop and is hesitant at low rpms, but once a few are built up its fine. Doesn't sound like any major backfiring noise, just a slight pop when letting off the throttle. Could that be the timing or running too lean?
:umm:

Thanks for all the advice, its helping me out alot. This forum is exactly what I needed. Much obliged.

It's a wicked site eh? I haven't been around much and I'm already a million times better off than when I first picked up my bike. The advice and inspiration here is phenominal :D

Hesitant in low rpm would indicate a tad rich wouldn't it? My ninja is running rich and it pops when the throttle is rolled off in the mid range.

Back