78 xs400-electrical problem

ebond

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I just thoroughly cleaned my carbs, installed an in-line fuel filter, replaced my oil, and ordered a new battery. I installed the battery, turned the key...and nothing. No indicator lights, no horn, no turn signals, no starter. I could hear a faint crackle from the battery when I turned the key on (maybe the vaseline on the leads boiling off?) so I'm guessing there isn't a problem with the main switch since I'm getting some response. I traced the wiring up and down the bike and didn't see anything worn, corroded, or disconnected. I also checked all the fuses. They're the old glass type but they are all good.

The battery I'm using is this one from mike's xs. I plan on getting something to test the charge of the battery tomorrow to see if it's defective. Is there anything else I can check or try in the mean time? Any suggestions?:confused:

I would double check the fuse box. The clips that hold the fuses tend to become brittle and corrode. My old fuse box was barely making any connection and any little vibration would cause it to lose power. If you have a volt meter you can use it to test the connections in there. Also those glass fuses are a bit tricky. Some may look good but the little wire filament inside could be disconnected inside the fuse towards the bottom where you cant see it. My last job I used to work with glass fuses all the time and even brand new looking ones were broken. You could always just replace the old fuses and try it out. They arent too expensive.

And yes check that battery. Even a low battery should light up the indicator lights.

Thanks for the tips, I'll take a closer look at the fuses this afternoon.

Is there an easy way to check continuity of the wiring besides a visual inspection? Or is tracing with a voltmeter going to be my best option? If so I'll have to pick one up after work today. Anybody have trouble with this particular battery before?

Good news! Tested the battery with a multimeter, all good there. Decided to sand the battery terminals and leads in hopes of a better connection and she's alive! I'm slightly annoyed but very relieved that it was such an easy fix. Now on to getting it road worthy...

Well the battery test with multimeter isnt accurate unless the bike is turned on I think. It could read 12-13v but once you start it, it could drop down to under 10v or less IF your battery is not charged or not working properly. My battery that I havent touched or charged in over 4 months reads 12.9v so I know it isnt accurate lol

Back