78 XS400 Master Cylinder compatibility

JPaganel

XS400 Addict
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I am a new owner of a 78 XS400.

The front master cylinder reservoir on my bike is in pretty bad shape. It looks porous like cake and one of the cover screws is missing. I think it's just the plastic degrading.

Will a master cylinder and perch from a XJ series Maxim work? Their reservoirs are metal.

Nobody replaced a front master cylinder? Or am I the only one with a deteriorating reservoir?

magura do a replacement Master cylinder which fits, don't think what your asking has been tried.

When I got my bike, the rod that pushes to make pressure wouldn't budge on my master cylinder. I found someone parting out a Maxim, don't know what year, so I just took the whole master cylinder with the lever and I now have a working front brake.

When I got my 82 Heritage Special it had a mystery master cylinder on it.

I still have it but have no idea what it is from. At the time I knew it was wrong, it looked wrong, it sat on the handle bars wrong, and it had a little too much travel in the lever for my comfort level.........but it did work.

I have since replaced it with the correct one but realistically almost any master cylinder will do the job so long as it fits and gets the pressure to the caliper.

i used these and the were a little different but worked fine.
only issue is staying with the same piston bore size as the stock or atleast close

bikebuild1.jpg

Back