79 rear axle spacer question

downtimeinc

downtime
Reaction score
Hey Guys - I've finally gotten around to reassembly, and after sending out the rear wheel for new rubber and beginning to put it back together I realized that I've misplaced my rear axle spacer somewhere...torn apart the garage 3 times so far but no dice. Does anyone know if there's another year/model that would have one that would work. It's a 79 with the rear disc brakes...posted a want ad, but thought I'd see if anyone had any other ideas/options, or if anyone had found a good place to order spacers from. Thanks!

I had to get one lathed. I want to say it was 19mm long, obviously 17mm inner diameter. Outer diam isn't that much of a deal..maybe 23ish? I gave the guy a 20 for mine.

Good idea re getting one lathed...just need to try and measure it up. Tried using the one off my '82 as a test but it's too big (rear drum on that one). Isn't there the spacer just on the right hand side?

Yeah. There's only one on the disc side. I actually tried to use the spacer from my drum brake, but the lathe guy got confused when I said I wanted to take it down to 19mm. He thought I meant 19mm OD, but I meant length. So yeah, you can def use the one from the drum, just make sure you're clear when you tell him your specs. 19mm LONG, not OD. ;)

thanks for the heads up - need to keep the 82 drum spacer but will take it to the machine shop for their reference - so 19mm is the width of the spacer for the disc brake rear axle?

19 or 19.5 mm. I'd go with 19.5mm. If you're too long, just file it down a bit.

I'd go in person and ask if they have some scrap that they can turn for you. It should only take about 20 minutes at the most so if they're wanting to charge you more than 20 bucks, I'd go elsewhere.

cleaning and painting was done on the rear caliper arm I pulled it out for assembly...I felt somewhat relieved and a bit embarrassed to realize that the calliper arm is the spacer on this setup -I'm used to working on the drum brake on my other bike and didn't even think of it. Thanks for all the tips - I always forget about the machine shop down the road so it was a good reminder for future reference. Now on to getting the rear brake piston unseized heheh....

Just to clarify, the caliper holder AND the spacer are needed to space the caliper assembly properly. You still need a spacer for the right side.

Hi Charles, hey just wondering if you remember how long the spacer was for your drum brake model? Or downtimeinc if you have your drum spacer floating around would you mind measuring its length for me?

I need one for my rear drum brake wheel (spoked) the part number is: 148-25383-00-00 and its called a rear wheel collar. So yeah definatly the same bit you guys are discussing :)

I actually have a spare disc brake one lying around but need the drum one, so im in the exact opposite situation you are in lol. At least you can grind yours down to size, I guess I could add washers but would prefer one solid spacer.

Back