Reassembling rear axle

member4326

XS400 Member
Reaction score
A familiar problem I know. Reassembling spacers etc on axle.
This is what I've done. Sorry it's a 1978 XS400e. So disc brake model. The new bearings are in the hub with the spacer etc. The left/sprocket end as I look under the "top hat" dust cover/collar I see that I have the seal recessed in against the bearing. Is this correct? The seal being inside or is it supposed to be flush with the end of the hub? Second question. If it is supposed to be flush with the end of the hub can I leave the one seal recessed and add another on the outside? So on that side (L.side) The Top Hat dust cap is the only thing on the axle. Then there will be the Chain Puller with the axle through it.
Other side disc. side The seal is in on the bearing leaving enough room for the "Collar" which inserts into hub to some degree but isn't flush on the outside. Next question is there a dust seal that goes over this collar?
Now final question how many spacers go outboard to the dust caps and on what side?
I realize there are pics in my parts book but they are not 100% clear to me.
Very last question "Where did I put the extra parts?" Someplace safe where I wouldn't lose them, no doubt. :)
Thanks
S.B.

I believe the seal you are talking about is supposed to be flush with the hub,thats how it is on my bike anyway.I had my rear tire off end of last year late fallish.I bent the dam thing and now I have to replace it.Ill be taking the rear tire off to have a new one mounted on sometime when the weather decides to turn around to a warmer side.

Scorpio1963
Thank you very much for the response. I am thinking I might just put another seal in flush with the end of the hub. That way I would avoid having to pull the other one out. I don't see how that would be a problem???
Thanks again.
SB

Back