'79 XS400 Cafe Build

motor1234

XS400 Member
Reaction score
So, I bought a pair of XS400's for a pretty solid price.

Here's the catch - they're in boxes.

So I'm going to make a cafe racer, and figure out the other bike later (possibly just part out)

The '79 frame is slightly modified. Most tabs were cut off, etc. The guy had planned to make it into a bobber.

I had both frames and swingarms sandblasted.

I plan to make the seat and wiring custom. It came with 2 tanks, but neither is from the xs400. The one I'm using came off of a Harley. It had a dent in it, but I'm reforming it to be a custom knee dent tank of sorts. We'll see how it goes.

As for the rest, it's kind of up in the air. Cafe bars, LED brake light, bar end turn signals. cutom headlight..... just a bunch of ideas. Any suggestions? I'm up for anything.

Colors... also up in the air. Blank slate, but I'm excited.

More pics soon!

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 373
  • 062.jpg
    062.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 342
I would say that seat's a little too big for the bike in the first picture. I know its comfortable, but.....

get some pictures either from this site (try inspirational bikes thread) or google some. you'll know when you found your style when you get all excited when you see it. Its all about passion as well as knowledge!

good luck

I would say that seat's a little too big for the bike in the first picture. I know its comfortable, but.....

get some pictures either from this site (try inspirational bikes thread) or google some. you'll know when you found your style when you get all excited when you see it. Its all about passion as well as knowledge!

good luck
Ha, I wasn't kidding when I said 'custom seat.'

Your tracker that's plastered all over the web is pretty sick drewpy, I hope to compete though. I've got passion, but time and money are both issues. (20 years old, off my seasonal job, sophomore studying mechanical engineering... I'll make it work!) I sold my last bike for $1k, so I'm trying to stay near that for total cost... keyword 'trying'

Any opinion on bar end turn signals? I have to have signals for my bike to be street legal I'm pretty sure, but I don't like the stock ones... Never even heard of bar-end signals until this week though. Then again, I've only been doing this for about a year or so...

All advice is greatly appreciated.

Also: I'm thinking red and black for the color scheme... red frame, black tank and seat, black rims? hmm... decisions, decisons..

good luck

kinda looks like the seat on my goldwing:laugh:

Back