'80 XS400 whiteout

How will the powder-coating on the rear sprocket wear? The white frame looks gorgeous. Will the tank stay bare metal?

It will wear through at the teeth, as for the rest it should be fine.

No, the tank is also going black/white/pink with lace. I'll be working on the tank as soon as I get the rest of the front end powdercoated and put on.

20150617_123728_zpszhtsdcb5.jpg

20150617_123718_zpsrvngv37l.jpg
20150620_154805_zpssfrjjsig.jpg

20150620_154751_zps1gibpgsp.jpg

20150620_113848_zpsnfsg4cn8.jpg

20150620_113818_zpscbfgaqai.jpg

20150620_113810_zpsj1dqnojg.jpg

Awww, we got girls' bikes now…:D

Excellent paint execution! Your GR650 looks cool too. I googled it and they sound like interesting machines. 180 degree firing so same as the XS400, bigger displacement which may be a 'Tempter' for other guys here looking for more power, and a really interesting centrifugal flywheel that releases after 3000rpm freeing up engine power. Apparently the flywheel keeps the idle smooth and starts from a stop child's play with torque everywhere. Seems like it works flawlessly so it makes me wonder why this detail hasn't been incorporated in current factory offerings today...:shrug:

Anyway be sure to share your Tempter build here too. I want to see what you come up with.:thumbsup:

Awww, we got girls' bikes now…:D

Excellent paint execution! Your GR650 looks cool too. I googled it and they sound like interesting machines. 180 degree firing so same as the XS400, bigger displacement which may be a 'Tempter' for other guys here looking for more power, and a really interesting centrifugal flywheel that releases after 3000rpm freeing up engine power. Apparently the flywheel keeps the idle smooth and starts from a stop child's play with torque everywhere. Seems like it works flawlessly so it makes me wonder why this detail hasn't been incorporated in current factory offerings today...:shrug:

Anyway be sure to share your Tempter build here too. I want to see what you come up with.:thumbsup:

I will share for sure. I haven't done anything to it since getting the xs but now that I'm getting close to finished I'll be able to get working on it.

That looks pretty amazing. A very well executed build.

I was "tempted" by a GR650 for sale locally. Sold before I got to it. Cool machines too.

Well some bad news.

Went to adjust the valves today, got everything in spec, only the right two were a little out. When setting at TDC on the right cylinder I noticed it was a little noisy when reaching TDC. Did a compression test, left cylinder went to 125 after a few light kicks. Right side, 0. Nothing. Pressurized the cylinder and nothing leaked. Nothing through the crank case vent, nothing through the exhaust nor intake ports...... hmmmm.... have someone look in the cylinder while I turn the crank by hand and the piston isn't moving in the cylinder.

So back to tearing it down and seeing what end of the rod broke and how. I never touched the rods when rebuilding but they weren't loose at all nor was it ever hard to turn over so I'm at a loss for how. I'll start to tear it down tomorrow.

Haha, me too, just glad I can laugh about it and not cry :p

No extra parts, both circlips were in the pistons, just no pin through the rod. I had put the pistons into the bores with the pins sticking out the pistons, so what I think happened was that when I was attempting to line up that rod with the hole in the piston to push the wrist pin through, the rod fell to the side and rested against the skirt and the pin went through to the other side of the piston. My fault for not double checking, got lucky nothing was damaged.

How long should you wait for RTV between the head and the valve cover to cure before starting the bike?

Well it wasn't quite 24 hours, more like 18. It's a very thin layer anyways.

It runs. Carbs need to be dialed in but it starts up no problem. Have to get ownership, wheels trued and centered and finish a few small things before she can ride it though.

nice fuel tank painting :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

the final assembly is very nice :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

BUT : you should pass in black :

-the fork
-the lower and upper fork's clamps
-the rear and front brake
-the rear brake's bracket
-side engine's covers
-rear sprocket
-carburetors

I've never really posted any finished photo's and I've been busy on another project to delay my GR650.

This spring when I can get her bike out I'm going to fix up a few things:

Replace reg/rec and add ground it to the frame as well, hopefully fixing the battery issue
Replace clutch plates and springs
Add mirrors (once I get something from overseas I have an idea I want to work on with them)
Add horn so I can get it safetied
Paint front fender to match the tank
Repack mufflers with different packing as they're too loud for me
Replace speedometer with black faced one with correct ratio
Add digital tach since she says she needs one and remove the tach cable I used for carb testing

Can't wait for spring so I can get some nicer photos and so she can actually ride it. Since this photo I have fixed the fuel line to the carbs so it is now a straight run.

IMG_20150831_100235_zpsoosea8b1.jpg

IMG_20151008_143013_zpsbknadof5.jpg

IMG_20151008_143054_zpsnpzdqdny.jpg

Common problem with those Emgo cheapies, they are way too loud. On mine, the packing was burnt out, and I mean completely gone, after 10 miles. It went from loud to straight pipe loud in a matter of minutes. I repacked with standard fiberglass chop mat and it worked great, but was still a little loud at night. I eventually used pipe wrap (the same you have on your pipes in the pics) and it gave it a more even sound. No matter what you add though, they are still going to be loud, it's just the way they are designed.

I wish I could meet a girl that wanted to ride. I've tried to get a few ex's to ride, and they just couldn't grasp the idea of a cultch and shifter.

I knew that when I got them since nearly every review said they'd need to be repacked from the get-go. I have some old OEM mufflers from other bikes I am going to gut and see if they have any usable packing. Loud-ish is okay, but for her ears and others Id like to quiet it down as much as possible with these little guys.

Did you use just the wrap around the baffles or did you wrap it around the fiberglass? I have quite a bit of wrap from other projects I can use as well.

When we met she couldn't even drive a standard car and her dad said he could never have imagined her on a motorcycle. Then she got tired of always being a passenger and wanted to get her own and she's a natural.

I just wrapped it around the baffle itself. You don't want it extremely tight like you would do on a pipe job, but you don't want it really loose either (if that makes any sense). Too tight will make it too loud. Make it as thick as the baffle will allow, and use a little lock wire around it (front, middle, back) to hold everything in place.

Back