81 partial restore, mild race build

Managed to get enough slack in the chain to get the cam out. freed the pistons with atf/acetone, a wooden hammer handle and large rubber mallet and got the cylinders off. Still haven't had a chance to get the old plug out. I'm hoping I can clean the cylinders enough to hone them and reuse without boring.

Attachments

• 20140529_184246.jpg
    20140529_184246.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 303
  • 20140529_181511.jpg
    20140529_181511.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 313
  • 20140529_181529.jpg
    20140529_181529.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 296
I would replace the rings ( there is a guy on ebay that sells the standard size) lap the valves and have new seals put in:wink2:and of course you are going to replace all the gaskets:) If you have a 30+ year old engine apart you should do it right.

I finally pulled the XS out and started work on it again. I got the stuck plug out using a spring loaded punch; the jugs were within spec after a light hone but one of the pistons needed to be replaced because the rings wouldn’t come out. Reassembled the top end over the weekend and get her to run, realized the carb boots are in horrible shape so I ordered a new set I hope will arrive this week.

Attachments

• XS400 head on web size.jpg
    XS400 head on web size.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 289
The Carb boots arrived and are installed, started working on front brake. Going to try to re-use the master cylinder; started disassembly using wooden shims to pry the reservoir off, worked like a charm. Got shims started under lip in 3 places (pic 1), removed 1 and used hammer to lightly tap 2 (pic 2, sorry it’s blurry) remaining shims and wedged it off. Next step is some cleaning.

Attachments

• Yam brake.jpg
    Yam brake.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 299
  • Yam brake 2.jpg
    Yam brake 2.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 279
Wow, almost been a year since my last update.
I pulled the XS out with the resolution to get it working and street worthy. I have pretty much decided to replace any old master cylinders with new Brembos that can be had for about $120.

By the time spend the time and $$ to rebuild the old ones with new rubber and plastic it, it's still the old MC that's probably not the best size anyway.

I have a bunch of new parts here or on the way and hop to have it ready in a week or 2. Probably just in time for the weather to start turning to crap.

Looks like it's time for a yearly check-in, this bike has taken on a new theme. I picked up a set of cheap hangers from a swap meet last summer and installed a set of short shocks leftover from a lowered Vulcan. Add some bags I had laying around and, instant bobber/bagger. Still working on a seat and a few details but it's coming along.

Back