'81 special build

Savantjk

Newbie to the xs400 world
Reaction score
Figured I'd go ahead and start a thread for the build. Seems to be the right of passage around here!

I picked the bike up for $250. It had been sitting for a while, apparently uncovered but the owner has recently tinkered and gotten it to crank. My brother and I swapped out riding the thing home from about 1.5 hr away! The battery was rigged on the back w/ house wiring and we had problems keeping a charge, stopping about 4 times to kill the car ignition and give the bike a little charge.

Here it is at home the first day. Note the rust to the rear sub-frame and swing arm, and exhaust... and the sweet battery connection.

As it was:
moto_0768-1.jpg

I decided to make a solo-seater and shed as much weight as possible. I didn't want to go with a cafe look since I have the bonnie with a modernized caf' feel. I cut off the rear frame rails, rear peg / exhaust mounts, and took the swing arm, triple clamps, tank, and other parts which were rusted to be bead blasted and powdercoated. They all received a coat in gloss black.. minus the tank, which was supposed to be a light blue (I let my girlfriend choose). Apparently the color chart had updated or something because when we picked it up the tank was seafoam green. I was not happy at first.. Although I will admit, it has grown on me a little.

Smaller battery, 5 3/4 in headlight w/ the shell powdercoated, mx bars, r6 master cylinder, temporary shrouded shocks I had in the shop, UNI pod filters, new yamaha badges, lucas tail light for shortened rear fender, new aluminum housing turn signals, and the exhaust cans on the way after that I'll put on the header wrap. Not all parts have been put on yet, and I've got to do something about headlight ears to lower the thing down. Seat pan in the works and rear loop going on soon. I'm sure there are some things I am skipping over.. but you get the gist.

As it sits:
moto_0801.jpg

Any suggestions on some good dual sport tires with our correct sizes?

looks good already ! very nice..and the sea foam green/blue isnt so bad

can you turn the headlight ears mounts upside down and swapped from either side so the good side show??

this will lower the light

can you turn the headlight ears mounts upside down and swapped from either side so the good side show??

this will lower the light

I have thought about doing that, but I think I want to do something more minimal.. a buddy on my triumph forum showed me something using exhaust P-clamps. If I can find the right size (IIIFFFF) or a set with bushings I'll do the same.

53-4headlight024.jpg

53-4headlight058.jpg

I keep running into 1 3/4" but we're closer to 1 1/4" which would provide a snug fit.. since 33mm = approx 1 5/16".

I'll just keep on looking... past few days have been spent on rust removal from the bits that I want to keep the original finish on... peg mounts, chain tensioners, etc. I need to replace the fork seals, so I may have the bottoms powdercoated black while they are apart.. to tie the front end better.

Seat pan in. Thanks to Ken who posted about his seat pans under the classifieds here! Just what I wanted. Can't wait to get the pad done.

moto_0803.jpg

After searching and searching on the net and around town and not finding any suitable p-clamps, I decided to make the stock work. Rust remover then sanding, cleaning, and painting the tubes.
moto_0805.jpg

Decided to keep the stock caliper and rotor.. boy does the R6 mc push them. From the way it's looking it will have more than enough stopping power. Especially with the bike being as light as it is after dropping all of the excess weight. I can't wait to get this thing on/off the road.

Thanks! It's made A LOT of progress recently. I'll post some pics whenever I get things back together.

Shocks are from an HD that I picked up off ebay for $9. 13.5" eye to eye. They were in nice condition so I figured I would give them a go. For that price it wouldn't hurt anything.. All else my bro could use them for his Shadow. He's rolling with my stock bonneville shocks currently just to get rid of the stock shrouds. I wanted something more firm than the stock xs shocks.. we'll see if I overdid it.

Wheels blasted.. now curing with some JD black. Supposedly pretty durable stuff. I didn't realize they are iron. The polished lips just made me assume steel or aluminum. Assembly should be done in the next week or so.. I'll get tires mounted and do the final mockup before finally getting to crank it again! I'm ready as it's a completely different machine than my triumph.
moto_0868.jpg

what tires are you running? Im looking for dual sport on my special II, its hard to find for a 16" rim.

Wheels blasted.. now curing with some JD black. Supposedly pretty durable stuff. I didn't realize they are iron. The polished lips just made me assume steel or aluminum.

What makes you think they are iron? Does a magnet stick to them? If not then they are not any kind of ferrous metal.

Back