81 xs 400 special. Runs fine, but doesn't seem to charge.

Buying parts and hoping they work is a very expensive way to work on your bike.
Do you have a repair manual? it should have a troubleshooting section for the charging system.
Testing what you have in a step by step procedure is the only way you will be able to find out what's wrong, then just buy the things you need.
You may find it's chafed wires from the stator. Bad connections on the field coil. These are pretty much free fixes.
Leo

Leo, I'm not throwing parts at it. After the multimeter test and reading through other threads it seams like the voltage regulator is a culprit quite often. So far the wires.all look good. I do need to get into the stator but I've been busy. The vr cost me a whole 10 bucks so I'm happy I got it. the bike is over 30 years old so giving it some newer parts isnt all that bad an idea.I am all up forore trouble shooting once i.have some time.

It kinda sounded like that was what you where doing.
As mentioned your repair manual has a trouble shooting section. Have you read it?
Leo

Sadly, I actually havent even bought one. When I bought the bike it ran good for a couple of years and I really didnt think I would even put too much time, money or effort into it if it started having problems. It grew on me though and now I need to buy the manual.

It don't matter much what I get the first thing I buy is the repair annual. I like the factory books #1. The Clymer and Haynes are tied for second. A slight edge to the Clymer.
I keep all my repair manuals. I got a large box of them for every car, truck, van or bike I have owned.
Leo

I am with leo on this, I did spend an extra $100 for a reg/rec combo, and the VR was shot, then like you said, the cheap VR from O-rielly's auto was about $10 bucks, and the corresponding pigtail another 2 bucks. (worth it) (its in my photo album if your bored). I think alot of us were just trouble shooting when we bought it. More out of ignorance, than sciencetific proof that it was dead. I wanted to get a new gadget. (it was jacked up, from opeing the box)

Well good luck with yours
Tobie

Back