81 xs400 special no response

mcmrider232

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Bought and fully rebuilt my 81 xs400 special 2 and just got everything back together. Motor turns over fine got a new ignition switch and had to replace the push button switch on the handlebars. Got a ballistic 8 cell antigravity battery but when I hook up the solenoid from the starter to the battery I get nothing. My dash lights wont turn on regardless of key position. However when I jump the starter the motor turns over. Everything worked when I got the bike and yes everything was assembled correctly and everything is connected. Thinking it might be push button switch but could having a different amp rating on my battery make the bike not run? Battery said 8amp versus factory at 6 amps.

Welcome to the forum!

.....Everything worked when I got the bike and yes everything was assembled correctly and everything is connected....

how do you know for sure? It worked before, and now it's not working. 1+1 = ?

Get your electrical tester out and start going through the wiring diagram. Pay extra attention to grounds, those are often the culprits

...Thinking it might be push button switch but could having a different amp rating on my battery make the bike not run? Battery said 8amp versus factory at 6 amps.

No.

Did you use the original handlebars? Are they painted?

What did you do to rebuild the fuse block? These are notorious for breaking down and needing replacemenet and when I see eletrical power at all, I always think fuse block.

Back