'82 DOHC XS400 — Up & Running!

sammermpc

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to say — I've got the XS400J that I picked up cheap last winter is ready for the riding season! Replaced a cracked carb boot (touch to find for the '82 DOHC), rebuilt the carbs, new tires, & fresh oil! Took it for a nice ride around town today. Now just waiting for some warmer weather!

This will be my gf's bike — I've got a '72 Honda that's still in pieces :(

The PO just rattle-canned the tank (the original is burgundy) — you can see it on the underside, so I'm planning on repainting it. It'll be a good opportunity to learn how to paint a tank well.

Besides the dismal part availability, I've had a lot of fun working with it so far! When I bought it, I didn't realize there was such a split in part availability between the SOHC and DOHC models. Would definitely have preferred the earlier SOHC I think...but it's been good!

Do be sure to reinstall the front fender before riding -- it has an integral fork brace that I think you don't want to ride without.

Oh, man! Can you believe that this is the first moment I've even noticed that there isn't a front fender? Was just so concerned with getting it running!

OK, looks like I gotta get a front fender. Does anyone know if the standard XS400 fenders fit the '82 Maxim? They seem more available. Like here (http://www.ebay.com/itm/81-YAMAHA-X...RONT-FENDER-/311324008258?hash=item487c5b5f42).

OK, I will take a look around. It looks like my forks have attachment bolts with center-to-center spacing of 2 3/8" which seems standard, and may work with a number of fenders.

Back