1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS400.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want an XS400.com t-shirt? Go to the store to order. Limited sizes and quantities available.
    Dismiss Notice

82 heritage, My third xs400

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by xschris, Sep 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Sesty

Sesty H.E. Pennypacker

looks great... now what are you gonna do all winter lol

2. xschris

xschris a lifestyle not a trend Top Contributor

I have 6 sets of carbs to clean/rebuild and the four other bikes that need some bits done to them. There is always things to do:laugh:

3. Sesty

Sesty H.E. Pennypacker

good plan... if you run out of things, i can supply my address...I have two bikes and a messy garage that could use some OCD treatment!:D

4. Wow! I'm impressed and inspired by the quality and speed that you did this work. And thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience with us newbies.

5. xschris

Thanks:) Still more to do but I did get the oil filter painted the other day.

Attached Files:

6. xschris

Added a set of 76 xs360 gauges to it. I even set the odometer on the speedo to the correct miles as the original. It was my wife's idea to have the color match the green of the bike. I forgot that the housings off the later bikes are not the same as the earlier one so I had to got with black ones :( With all the sets of gauges I have I only had one pre-80 chrome bucket for a speedo and none for the tach.:banghead:

Attached Files:

7. Sesty

Sesty H.E. Pennypacker

wife has a good eye
    I dig the gauges... remind me of the 70's CB gauges.. almost aviation style

8. xschris

Found this thread today and thought I would update it. I have been putting it back to stock over the last two years. I have only put about 6k miles (20k total) on it as I have so many other xs400 bikes to ride. Finding the correct parts can be hard but I will get there. I even found a factory brochure with a pic of the bike new which will help in identifying parts/looks.
    View attachment 33497 DSC03648.JPG DSC03649.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    buztabuzt likes this.
  9. Very nice. When I finish my 81, I'll be looking for another project to restore.

10. Specdog

Specdog XS400 Addict

Your '82 looks good back in stock trim Chris. Since we're talking '82's, here is mine in stock form. xs400 for sale 019.jpg

xschris likes this.
  11. xschris

The 82 sohc Canadian version.

12. xschris

Added a factory rack and back rest. Still has a bit of the yamaha sticker on it. Not bad shape for the age but these are hard to find. I will see how I like riding with it this summer.
    DSC03650.JPG DSC03651.JPG

13. xschris

Factory black carbs back on it now.
    DSC03658.JPG DSC03659.JPG DSC03660.JPG

14. xschris

It took me 3 yrs to find a set. One year only color for carbs and hardware setup. I kick myself for selling the ones that came with it.