82 maxim Chain/sprocket info

foundation982

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys My maxim is in need of both new sprockets and a chain, After my research I've decided to go with a 530 O-ring chain (because I'm riding year round and can get stuck in salt)I just was wondering if anyone knows if they have found any clearance issues with it. I have a couple honda cb's and I know an O-ring chain will grind the front sprocket cover down. Does the maxim have to room for one?

Another question is I will be going with a 17t sprocket on the front the get some more upper end but what is rear sprockets stock size? I could count the teeth but then again I'm lazy and this is the internet. :laugh:

I have no clearance issues. 16 x 35 are the stock gears. You won't get any higher a top speed by lowering the engine rpms. Our top speed is HP limited. You will however increase the time it takes to get to top speed.

I opted to slightly increase the engine revs, and reduce chain/sprocket wear, by installing larger gears front and rear. I like the result, especially in the city, where riding like a hooligan is often required for self preservation. :(

Awesome! thank you, I don't want more top speed more like drop the engine revs down a bit. Last week got stuck out running a storm and took freeways the whole time which got a bit buzzy. I also have never topped the maxim off as far as it would go but definitely have buried its 85mph needle. So I'd say it's got enough power to go up a tooth on the front :thumbsup:

Say Dave also this is my beater bike and I'm planning on riding in any conditions. How would you say the maxim's charging system is? I see on yours you have big lamps mounter on front, I just want to add heated handgrips and was wondering if it would have any effect on the charging system. I'd also like to hear your opinion on cold temperature oils for the maxim. Currently have 15w-40 which I run in all my bikes. But was thinking of going to a 10w-30 as the manual says to.

I tried dropping the revs. Didn't work well for me. I was always lugging the engine or having to downshift. It's a 400cc twin, not a 1400cc twin. These engines don't wake up until 7500 rpm. Rev it! Learn to love the sound, and wear ear plugs. No-Noise ear plugs work well and will save your hearing. If you do, 30 years from now you will thank me.

The charging system is good - as long as all the wiring, connections, etc are ok. 240W output. I switched all bulbs to LED's and headlight to 35W HID to give me plenty of reserve. I had no issues with the 110W those lights used. I've since replaced them with 27W (54W total) LED flood lamps. I figured I didn't need to be able to see clearly 1km down the road, but lighting up the sides of the roads to see critters was more important. You shouldn't have any problems with heated grips. I'm considering Oxford heated grips. They are pricy, but have good reviews. I've talked to over a dozen people (in person!) who have them installed.

I run Rotella T6 full synthetic 5W40 year round in my bike and yard tractor. Never had an oil related issue with either. I've ridden in sub-freezing temps a few times and the little tractor has seen -40 and still started and ran, with a boost.

Okay awesome I know a lot of older bikes with wet clutches don't like synthetic oils, But if you've had good experiences sounds like thats what I'll be switching too as well

I wanted lower cruising rpms and went with 17T. The change to 17 reduced rpms by nearly 500 at highway speed (100 kph).
With 35 already on the rear there was no opportunity to go down by 2 or 3 teeth to achieve it that way.

Being light weight (155) and not carrying luggage or passengers, I could not perceive any difference in lower gears.
But if you are an ex Linebacker like Dave, and carry a lot of gear like he does (or a 2nd person) you might want to keep your 16T and stick to back roads - or get the engineered ear plugs Dave is recommending.

Don't buy a Chinese chain. I had a chain break and replaced the Chinese one with a Japanese DID. It was great - http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10273

As to synthetic oil, Dave is using probably the only one that is rated for wet clutches so don't use just any one. Look for the JASO MA spec on the container.

Back