82 Seca Cafe Build

Hey David, great build. I really like the solution with the indicator lights. Can you tell me what those exhaust pipes are? I run stock on my 12E but the metal underneath the muffler brackets are completely rotten.

Keep up the good work!

*EDIT*: Found the info on your blog, thanks anyway!

Thanks for the complements.

Applied a couple of coats of white primer on the body parts to seal the fiberglass and to allow me to see areas that need more attention before paint. I used white primer because I am planning to do a black and yellow paint scheme. Yellow doesn't cover gray primer very well.

I had trouble locating white primer in quarts. The primer I'm using is this DTM Epoxy Primter kit from TCPGlobal.

I also squared up the tip and tail of the front fender slightly to hopefully make it complement the angular gas tank shape a little better.

20150317_111529.jpg

20150317_111708.jpg

20150317_111618.jpg

After all of the time playing with paint schemes that follow ridge lines, I've pretty much decided a simple racing stripe is what I'm gonna do. It's a classic design and probably one I won't screw up taping. :) Something close to this is what I'm planning.

I also thinking that I might add some lettering or a logo on the sides of the tail. Perhaps something business like (maybe just "XS400 DOHC") or something whimsical or silly.

Design-3.jpg

You've been very artful integrating the seat unit and tank and extending the theme to the front fender. Excellent 'glassing skills there. Seeing all the work you've done, it would seem to detract from it by applying such heavy stripe graphics. I'd like to see you showcase the bodywork with maybe some thin stripes to highlight the contours. Great work regardless.:thumbsup:

Haven't made any progress recently. I've been sidetracked on other projects and traveling. My plan is to get the seat cover made and then take everything apart for painting and polishing. I hope to get the cover made in the next week or so.

Other projects have kept me from making any progress on the bike recently. Hope to get back to it soon. All of the fabrication is done. The bike is ready to be disassembled for cleaning and paint.

I picked up the upholstered seat today. Here are a few photos with the decals and stripe mockups in place. I'm still planning to do a black racing stripe bordered with white and black pin stripes.

20150619_122028-1600x1200.jpg

20150619_122007-1600x1200.jpg

20150619_120057.jpg

Last edited:
Seat turned out nicely:thumbsup: You have done a lot of nice work with that fiber glass. Excited to see how the paint turns out.

Posted via Mobile

Back