'82 Seca XS400R - Longer Rear Monoshock?

robindean

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hi all.

I'd like to add 3 more inches of distance between my rear tire and the fender.

I'm doing some googling but figured I may as well post the question: will the swing arm on my bike allow for this? If so, what monoshock length should I be considering to gain the distance I'm after?

Again, calculation = 3 more inches than stock between the rear tire and fender.

I'd be even more interested in knowing if there's a monoshock out there with height adjustment?

make a height bracket, thus extending the rear. 3 inches is a lot and will quicken your steering up as it will steepen the head angle

So I've heard :)

I'm trying to make sense of what the stock monoshock length is (can't seem to find the details) and how much change is applied per inch on a longer shock.

Ah, formulation. Anyone have a good mathematic take on this?

Well the XS400J(I believe identical frame with a different head angle?)'s monoshock is 12.5 inches. I believe this because bikebandit shows this shock as a replacement:

http://www.bikebandit.com/progressive-suspension-oe-14-series-shocks-12-50?m=8257

You may want to try using bike bandit to see if you can find a part that matches xs400R and look up its specs to get a better idea of the numbers.

Alternatively, you can go look up the OEM part # and find those details.

Thanks for doin' the research, Dan :)

It seems that while they do list another of our bike's cousins (the XS400RJ Seca) they don't actually have any parts for it LOL. I trust the J data and think that you're right ... the only difference is the head angle and a few bells/whistles here and there.

So, if the replacement is 12.5", what might the max length for any monoshock be that can still be used with my bike?

One site lists a replacement shock for my model that is 17", which I feel would be insane overkill. I just want to add a couple more inches, 2-3 at most.

Has anyone else done this?

hey robindean, do you happen to remember the site with the 17" shock? I'm trying to do something similar and raise the rear end of my bike. What did you end up doing?

Thanks for doin' the research, Dan :) One site lists a replacement shock for my model that is 17", which I feel would be insane overkill. I just want to add a couple more inches, 2-3 at most...
Now, I am curious. My mono-shock is closer to horizontal than vertical and, if you wanted to raise your fender away from the tire by 2" measured vertically, you would have to use a shock that was more than 4" longer given its angle, wouldn't you?
What did you end up with. Hopefully Dewpy's height bracket idea prevailed.

1) unlock seat (as if to open it) via left side of bike

2) remove tiny hitch pins from both hinges on the right side of bike (they look like little bent paper clips)

3) pull out roller pins from hinges ... little bars that hold the seat on the hinge itself.

4) lift seat away.

VERY easy to do. Assuming you don't "force" anything, no damage will be done. Cake.

.... VERY easy to do. Assuming you don't "force" anything, no damage will be done. Cake.
It was easy to do on the wrecked Seca because we took the tank and seat off and drained everything so it would go in the station wagon on its side.
You can't see how long the mono-shock is without taking both off, and even at that, the bottom end is hidden under some sort of electrical box. It would appear that from mounting bolt centre to mounting bolt centre, the mono-shock on the Seca is ~15" long. The actual coiled steel spring in exactly 9" long.
I will not be removing the seat and tank on the Maxim to compare lengths - not until after my ridding today at least. More likely not until a rainy day. Maybe B-W's is still exposed enough to measure...

I forgot to measure. I'll try and get that tonight. Remind me to if I don't!

By the way, the custom monoshock build was done by WORKS SHOCKS. Power-Barn.com was the middle man and a good one at that. They're very knowledgeable and have access to the template that was used.

FULLY REBUILDABLE!

You can't see how long the mono-shock is without taking both off, and even at that, the bottom end is hidden under some sort of electrical box. It would appear that from mounting bolt centre to mounting bolt centre, the mono-shock on the Seca is ~15" long. The actual coiled steel spring in exactly 9" long.
I will not be removing the seat and tank on the Maxim to compare lengths - not until after my ridding today at least. More likely not until a rainy day. Maybe B-W's is still exposed enough to measure...

Lou, 1st, shame on you for not knowing how to remove your seat! Two butterfly bolts is all it takes on mine.

Also, the "battery box" is a mud guard. Mine is gone... so I can measure the Maxim shock. The length is identical (15" end to end, with a 9" spring.)

Back