82 XS400 Engine seized?

eexist

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I was working on the carbs with a rebuild kit I bought and finally had them to where I believe they are in working condition. Went to put them back on and tried to start the bike, relay clicks but starter does nothing. Battery directly to starter also does nothing when attached to the bike(checked to make sure battery voltage was not the issue) but seems to whizz along just fine outside of the bike. We put it in the highest gear and tried to turn the rear wheel by hand on the center stands and could not get it to move. Yesterday I go outside drop it from the center stand and was able to get it to turn over by pushing it and then tried by hand and it was pretty difficult to get it to turn over even with the plugs out to eliminate compression being the issue.

What should be my next step? Does it sound like the pistons are the issue or seized or could it be something else? Would appreciate any input on the situation.

Thanks

Sounds like you've got trouble my friend. I think I'd soak those jugs with some Tranny fluid or Marvel mystery oil. Let it sit for a couple days & then give it a few kicks with the kick start. Seems to me for some reason your pistons seized up. If you do get it turning over reasonably & running you may be ok for a while but plan on a top end rebuild in the near future. Just be patient with soaking the jugs & let the oil do it's job.

There is no kick start equipped with what I have. When you say top end rebuild what does that entail? I'm sorry, I am really good with mechanical things but I don't know enough about that part of the engine. Do I need to have it re-bored? New pistons/rings? I have never had any issues before this so I am not sure what could have happened. How much tranny fluid/mystery oil should I put in each cylinder?

Thank you!

By top end rebuild it means at least the piston rings & hone the jugs along with freshen up the head (quick cleaning of built up carbon). At worst it could mean boreing & pistons but I don't think you have too much damage (not actually seeing what you have). As far as oil I think about 1-2 oz wouldn't hurt for a day or 2 soak and possibly rocking the bike in gear to move the oil around a bit on occasion. You should feel the resistance weakening as the soaking does it's work. Gotta go to work now but Good luck!!!

Just a thought before I go. Could be a liquid lock problem if you're floats are set wrong & flooding but with out the plugs in you shouldn't have much resistance rolling it over.

That was my initial issue I would have fuel leaking from the pod filters the guy before me put on. There is still quite a bit of resistance even in the highest gear to turn by hand/roll.

Back