82 XS400S, no spark!!

waycoolsportster

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, I either have a simple fix or a big headache and could really use some help. I just put my bike back together..only had it apart for cosmetic reasons, the bike ran fine and had no mechanical issues. Last time it was ran was approximately 2 months ago.
After re-assembly, the starter button no longer worked. So I jumped the solenoid. Engine cranked but did not start. Verified that I was getting fuel, then checked for spark...NO SPARK!!!:banghead:

Today I am looking at diagrams and really scratching my head..so far I have tested the plug wires and coils, both test good. I am waiting for my drill to charge so I can drill out the plug and remove the cover to check the pickup coil.

Obviously a no spark situation would first point you to the ignition system as a whole, however I am also wondering if I could have a problem in the start/run switch or key switch..is there something I am missing here?? Is there a wire or relay or combination of the two from the key or run switch that "tells" the ignition to fire???

I really want to get this bike running but I am having a hard time figuring out just what could have went wrong.

Have you thoroughly checked your fuses, making sure everything is making contact? What cosmetic changes did you make? Did you do anything to the handlebars. paint or any coating? Have you checked that all wiring connectors are tight?

I've checked the fuses and the wiring and all components I can think off, everything is intact and checks out. The only wiring issue that is visible is the clutch safety switch (I think that is what it is, connects to the clutch lever) the wires pulled out when switching bars. Same with the front brake light switch. On the clutch switch I have tried to start it with the wires apart (open circuit) as well as tied together (closed circuit) that is the only wiring that has been bothered in any way. The rear lights are currently unplugged but I had it running without them before now.

Does your model have a kickstand safety switch? I doubt if that would affect starting, but you never know. The clutch safety switch shouldn't affect starting unless your bike is in gear. Make sure both your left and right control modules are tight on the handlebars, the starting circuit is grounded by the left control through the handle bars, thats why I asked about the paint or coating. Double check the wires in the controls to make sure nothing came loose.

I do not see any wires anywhere near the kickstand so I am betting there is no switch there. However, the controls are currently loose on the bars. I am charging the battery now. If it really is as simple as the controls being loose I am gonna feel soooooo damn stupid!!!!!

Okay.....tightened up the controls and wow, starter button is working again (makin progress) however there still is no spark. I had the battery charger hooked up and the bike was cranking strong. Held the spark plug to the head (new plug) and no spark on either side.

New news....tied the wires together on the clutch safety switch and have spark on the left side. Still none on the right though. Bad news is that the positive block on the cheap ebay battery I bought just literally snapped off! It's just not my day!! I still can crank the bike using just the battery charger though. Cannot figure out what the issue is on the right cylinder, coil wire and plug all show good.

The are often under the battery box. It is a black box with one connector going to it.

Last edited:
Thanks Chris! I do now have a spark...looks a litle weak but I got it. Amongst some wiring issues I did find that one of the coils was indeed bad. I had one from a 650 so I threw it on there for now until I can get one ordered

I needed to know where my tci box is located I did some searching you guys say its underneath the battery box so I looked Nothing is under there except my rectifier:banghead:Where else could it be hidden at?

Back