82 XS400S, no spark!!

You have to get down really low to look up at your regulator. You will see the TCI unit above it. Look for the green label on it. It is mounted to the floor of the battery box.

hey guys new to the forum world. cant figure out how to post a question. any help would be great. I killed my bikes ignition and id like some advise. I need a kick in the !@$$ for what I did. after disassembling the headlight and all the wires in there, I flipped the handlebar over to make it a lean over. after failing to reconnect the wiring correctly I blew a fuse. then I stuck a screwdriver in the place where the fuse rests. very dumb idea. started the bike and it ran for ten seconds and died. no spark no headlight nothing. this bike was running perfectly and I have killed it. now what?

thanks for reply. its a 1982 xs400 j I think. mono shock maxim with 24000kms bone stock for now. I am modifying this bike to lean over style. I lowered the forks 2", flipped the bars and started to rewire. I couldn't find a good diagram for the headlight wiring so I went amature and guessed wrong resulting in improper signal light operation. which let to blown 10 amp fuse. I jammed my screwdriver in place of the fuse after changing the wiring a little and the signals on the right blinked but the left didn't. I switched another couple wires resulting in no l/r blinker and solid l/f when I pressed left turn. trial and error leads to trial and error. I started the bike and it blew the 20 amp main after 10 or 15 seconds. I hope I didn't screw anything up. lesson learned but I need color coded headlight wiring diagram for meatheads! and some fuses! this bike runs ok and everything was working before I messed with it. I will have lots of questions and diy projects with this bike like frame mod, aftermarket, gearing change if possible and regular maintenance. oh im probably going to buy aftermarket headlight and signals so I need to know which color wires do what

Back