A forum for 400s? Sweet.

Rural Guy

84 Maxim 400
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I bought a 1984 XS400 Maxim last spring. It's basically a 1983 (manufactured April 1983) but it looks like some were held back and released in 84 in Canada. I read that somewhere, it may be completely wrong.

Either way I'm treating it like an 83. There was little known about my bike when I bought it. The guy I bought it from stated he got it from an old guy a year before and never got it registered and on the road. The guy I bought it from states the old guy said it was in his barn and used occasionally. The bike had 6900 kms on it when I bought it and the mechanic that did the safety said it was in excellent shape. I also have my two side covers. Both had the plastic studs broken but with some ABS glue and new grommets they are back on.

This is my first bike. I knew very little about bikes when I got it and have very little mechanical experience. So far though I've put on new grips, new tires, new AGM battery, extra long mirrors, new rear brake shoes, new front 17 sprocket (as opposed to stock 16), new rear sprocket, new chain, extra long shifter and lots of new bolts and screws that stripped or sheared off in the process. I've become a bit of an expert on bolt/screw extraction. :laugh:

Next up is a louder horn which I've bought but haven't put on yet, new right hand controls/master cylinder and stainless steel brake lines and new front pads. I've got new cables ready to replace the old ones as I go. An oil change is due in the next week or two. After that I'll be bringing it to the mechanics to have them check my valve clearances and replace the seal, bolts and doughnuts as well as to do a carb sync and tune. If this was the winter I'd try it myself but it'll take me forever as I have little time and experience so I'd like to have these steps done quickly by a professional so I can maximize riding time. Fork seals are due in the winter. As are some electrical upgrades.

Sorry about the long post but that's everything...I think. I had more photos somewhere but can only locate this one right now. Chain guard is back on now.

Mike

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 213
Welcome to the site! Make sure your fork seals are good before doing the brake job... wouldn't want to ruin a new set of pads by having them contaminated with fork oil..

Stainless braided lines are an excellent upgrade on any old brake system. When you're replacing the line and master cylinder, also be sure to pull the caliper apart and clean the junk out of that..

:thumbsup:

Back