Adjusted valves, now too tight?

danisawesome

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I recently adjusted the valves (for the first time) on the XS, which ran great with a little valve noise before the adjustment, and it seems that a couple valves are now staying closed after some investigation. I used .004 for the intake side and .007 for the exhaust and set them so I was able to pass the feeler gauge through, but it would slightly bite on it. I've read that everyone goes for the middle adjustment, so do I just need to set them a little looser to compensate for wear and tear? Thanks in advance!

sounds like the valves are sticking, if you loosen them they still won't open as there is more gap to close up.

how did you know they are staying closed?

We took the tappet covers off and turned the motor with the kickstart until it got to the compression stroke. Then we took a compression tester tube and blew compressed air in there to simulate the motor created compression and the one troublesome valve would try to open up and would hit the rocker arm causing the valve and rocker to sort of wobble up and down rapidly. It was a really good hands on lesson on how that stuff works.

def a sticking valve, possibly the valve spring has broken too.

need a strip I think to remedy it

Back