Adjusting clutch cable 1980 xs400

Constantgardiner

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Just bought my first motorcycle. It's beautiful, it drives me crazy, I love it.
I'm new to riding and maintenance so I may not pick up on the slang and abbreviations right away.
After a couple rides I noticed my clutch cable has a tad too much play, so on the advice of a friend I decided to try to adjust it myself. He (my friend) recommended making the big adjustment in the clutch housing (correct term?)
and make minor adjustments to the clutch handle as needed.
Well, I've got the plate off and don't really know how to adjust the cable down here. Any help for a middle aged idiot trying to cling to his youth?
Regards,
constantgardiner

Dont mess with anything on the on the clutch cover. at least I wouldnt yet.. It does help to get a new cable, will definitely make it easier to shift and give a bit less resistance. The clutch pull itself will always be harder than a modern bike and it will never be precise like a modern one either.

You can pop the rubber cap off and theres a set screw where you can tighten and lock the nut down, this is on the clutch cover. I think that I was having trouble with it because when you tighten up the lock nut, you turn the clutch cable attachment and it will kick the cable off. I may have adjusted mine its been a while.

These clutches are loose and sloppy, they remind me of a dirt bike clutch. You dont want the clutch lever to have any pre tension on it, it needs to have some kind of slack in the line.

Id start with a new cable and see how it feel after that, made a huge difference on my bike.

Welcome and post up some pictures of your ride!

What Mike said.
Sounds like you have taken the sprocket cover off?
It stays on the bike for adjustment. The rubber cap comes out of it.
The Haynes manual can be downloaded from the thread at the top of The Garage.

I believe it recommends 1/4 turn out once you feel resistance at the screw.
Following some advice that I can't find anymore I do about a 1/6 turn back for a bit less slack at the handle.

Thanks for the reply guys! I'll give these a try soon.
I don't have a ton of free time to work on it, but I'll keep you all abreast of my progress.
I'm the meantime here's a picture of the bike. (For some reason the previous owner put a Honda tank on it)
Regards,
constantgardiner
IMG951371.jpg

Back